Login loop after update Manjaro Architect -> i3wm i3lock lightdm

Hi Manjaro Community,

I’m facing a problem after updating. I’m not able to get past the login screen. That is, after entering the correct password I momentarily see a console (no quiet parameter) and then I’m back to the lock screen once again (i3lock).

I have no .pacnew files in /etc/pam.d. Here’s the output of ls -la /etc/pam.d:

http://ix.io/2zRk

Here’s a bunch of outputs that might be useful for this issue, as I have no idea what to try.

cat /var/log/pacman.log 
# http://ix.io/2zRj

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
# http://ix.io/2zRi

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
# http://ix.io/2zRh

journalctl -x -p4 -b0
# http://ix.io/2zRg

Any help would be appreciated. If there’s any other info I can supply please let me know.

Thank you

EDIT

After I run startx in tty2 I’m able to see the desktop as I left it (without any problems so far). But after I shutdown -r now I’m still in the log-in loop which is not desirable. I’d like to be able to simply go to the desktop after typing my password.

1 Like

Hmm, I’ve been having much the same issue since the update on my gnome install, but I figured it was just a gnome thing. I wonder if your problem and mine are related. What DM are you using? My issue seems to be a problem with GDM and gnome-keyring.

My i3 install, on the other hand, is fine.

Hey, thanks for chiming in.

I’m not too familiar with the abbreviatations. I assume DM means desktop manager, in that case I’m using lightdm. I don’t think the problem is with it though as I can still use to the full extend my desktop and my apps, once I type startx.

My guess is I have a problem with my locking app, the one in charge of loggin me in (not sure how to call it). But other than that I’m most definitely flying blind.

I can do that too. If if I switch to TTY from the login page then I can sign in there, and then I just type startx and gnome starts up fine. Everything works unless I close the cover on the laptop, at which point the gnome desktop fails when I reopen it. I think we might be having the same problem.

In the terminal, try running this command and see if you have a gkr-pam error:

systemctl status lightdm

Yes I do seem to have some problems there.

systemctl status lightdm
● lightdm.service - Light Display Manager
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service; enabled; vendor preset: disabled)
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2020-10-07 06:30:39 -05; 2min 58s ago
       Docs: man:lightdm(1)
   Main PID: 725 (lightdm)
      Tasks: 37 (limit: 38441)
     Memory: 108.5M
     CGroup: /system.slice/lightdm.service
             ├─ 725 /usr/bin/lightdm
             ├─2960 /usr/lib/Xorg :0 -seat seat0 -auth /run/lightdm/root/:0 -nolisten tcp vt7 -novtswitch
             └─3035 lightdm --session-child 12 19

Oct 07 06:30:39 home-beast lightdm[2669]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly
Oct 07 06:30:39 home-beast lightdm[2669]: pam_unix(lightdm-autologin:session): session closed for user feva
Oct 07 06:30:40 home-beast lightdm[2831]: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm(uid=972) b>
Oct 07 06:30:44 home-beast lightdm[2939]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
Oct 07 06:30:44 home-beast lightdm[2939]: gkr-pam: stashed password to try later in open session
Oct 07 06:30:44 home-beast lightdm[2939]: pam_systemd_home(lightdm:account): systemd-homed is not available: Unit dbus->
Oct 07 06:30:44 home-beast lightdm[2939]: pam_unix(lightdm:session): session opened for user feva(uid=1000) by (uid=0)
Oct 07 06:30:44 home-beast lightdm[2939]: gkr-pam: gnome-keyring-daemon started properly and unlocked keyring
Oct 07 06:30:44 home-beast lightdm[2939]: pam_unix(lightdm:session): session closed for user feva
Oct 07 06:30:45 home-beast lightdm[2995]: pam_unix(lightdm-greeter:session): session opened for user lightdm(uid=972) b>

There’s this line in red:

Oct 07 06:30:44 home-beast lightdm[2939]: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file

But it’s weird. Looking around, this seems to be a bug that’s been going for quite some time, so I’m not sure if this is truly the reason this login loop happens for me.

I mean if this was really the reason why didn’t this happen before the update? It’s quite interesting. Perhaps, you have a similar error?

It’s also been pointed out that even if one should get this error there shouldn’t be any display issues, which is true in my case. I honestly think this error is not the real reason.

Yes, that’s the same error I’m having with GDM. It’s entirely possible, though, that I’ve been having that error for a while, and that it has nothing to do with the login loop.

It still seems to me that we may be having the same issue. Unfortunately, I haven’t had much time to look into it, particularly as its happening on a laptop I don’t necessarily use every day.

I discovered today that I can login fine if I use the wayland option on gnome. It also turns out that, at least on gnome, you can create a new user and that user is able to log in without any problem. I don’t like either solution (wayland or a new user), so I’m still looking for an actual fix. It seems to me like these fixes suggest that it’s probably an xorg thing, and it’s obviously got something to do with settings at the user level, since a new user can log in. Maybe something getting called by .xinitrc is the problem?

I’ve had the same problem. I used Timeshift to undo the update, then upgraded every package except for the following:
xorg-server 1.20.8-4 -> 1.20.9-2
xorg-server-common 1.20.8-4 -> 1.20.9-2
xorg-server-xwayland 1.20.8-4 -> 1.20.9-2

I’ve rebooted and logged in just fine. I think it’s safe to say the problem is xorg related.