Location Services Not Turning On - Pinephone

So, I open the settings application and toggle the Location Services selection to on. I then try to use the location in gnome-maps and I am confronted with a message that says that location services are turned off and I need to turn it on, despite it already being on, as seen here:

Note, the output of sudo mmcli -m any --location-status is:

--------------------------------
  Location |         capabilities: 3gpp-lac-ci, gps-raw, gps-nmea, gps-unmanaged, agps-msa, 
           |                       agps-msb
           |              signals: yes
  --------------------------------
  GPS      |         refresh rate: 0 seconds
           | supported assistance: xtra
           |   assistance servers: http://xtrapath1.izatcloud.net/xtra3gr.bin
           |                       http://xtrapath2.izatcloud.net/xtra3gr.bin
           |                       http://xtrapath3.izatcloud.net/xtra3gr.bin

I am not sure what is going on here. It seems that GPS is working, but I have no location on any apps. I have tried using location services with Postmarket OS on this very phone and it works without a hitch.

1 Like

I had the same problem despite being on unstable with the latest updates. I had kept on updating a dev image from a couple of months ago. Reflashing the latest dev image solved the problem, GPS now works with Gnome Maps at least (I havenā€™t tried other applications with location services). I guess itā€™s a good idea to reflash from time to time instead of just updating.

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice and thanks for letting me know itā€™s not just me. I really donā€™t want to have to reflash the phone. I will if thereā€™s absolutely no way around it, I will, but Iā€™d rather find a solution that is a little less drastic. Any idea regarding what logs might be useful here, perhaps?

2 Likes

@djg_s39c Hi there! I am running factory installed Manjaro phosh, too. Have you been able to solve missing GPS functionality without reflashing the Manjaro image? I have tried some ā€˜mmcliā€™ commands in order to enable severeal GPS features, especially

sudo mmcli -m any --location-enable-gps-nmea
sudo mmcli -m any --location-get

Unfortunately ā€˜nmeaā€™ auto-disables within few seconds. ā€˜ā€“location-getā€™ will give some GPS output only if it is started fast enough.

1 Like

Hello @mentelhelf

Unfortunately I have nothing to update with on this issue. If it helps, here are some links which may be of use but, yeah, I think this is just one of those problems that may go unsolved until some smart cookie throws a tantrum and writes their own damn software for this. Note: Iā€™ve heard others using the pinephone state that they have cracked this nut, but, Iā€™ve tried all the OSā€™s they mentioned and I canā€™t get GPS reporting from anything other than cell towers, so, Iā€™m skeptical.

Serial port terminal > Cannot open /dev/ttyS0: Permission denied - Ask Ubuntu
Proof of concept AGPS data loading for PinePhone Ā· GitHub
mmcli man page - ModemManager - General Commands | ManKier
Unsatisfactory GPS reception on PinePhone?
[SOLVED] canā€™t open device ā€œ/dev/ttyUSB0ā€: Perm. denied (Linux permissions) - Using Arduino / Installation & Troubleshooting - Arduino Forum

1 Like

I also have very similar stance on this matter.
Havenā€™t found the solution but digging around to find the solution. Hopefully one day we will figure this out and will be useful for others as well.

1 Like