Location of cursor file

Where is the location of the default xcursor-breeze files? Trying to use GTK3Agg backend of matplotlib on Wayland will throw an error saying
Unable to load fleur from the cursor theme

On the Arch wiki there is workaround to this problem by appending the path of the folder containing the cursor files

export XCURSOR_PATH=${XCURSOR_PATH}:~/.local/share/icons

However, I was not able to find the icons folder or ~/.icons

If there are other ways to get around this problem I would really appreciate them too. Thank you.

cursor themes are lumped in with icons.
/usr/share/icons
You can also find system files owned by a package with, ex:

pacman -Ql xcursor-breeze

If you had downloaded and installed it locally manually … then it would be in your home.
The package would put it in the system as shown above.

Thank you for the answer. However, it seems that appending the cursor path does not solve the problem. I have not installed any user themes/icons/cursor and just using the default. I have appended the following line to both .bashrc and .zshrc

export XCURSOR_PATH=${XCURSOR_PATH}:/usr/share/icons

Here is the full error message

Unable to load tcross from the cursor theme
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk3.py", line 43, in <module>
    cursors.SELECT_REGION: Gdk.Cursor.new(Gdk.CursorType.TCROSS),
TypeError: constructor returned NULL

The above exception was the direct cause of the following exception:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test.py", line 4, in <module>
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py", line 2336, in <module>
    switch_backend(rcParams["backend"])
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py", line 276, in switch_backend
    class backend_mod(matplotlib.backend_bases._Backend):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/pyplot.py", line 277, in backend_mod
    locals().update(vars(importlib.import_module(backend_name)))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/importlib/__init__.py", line 127, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk3agg.py", line 8, in <module>
    from . import backend_agg, backend_gtk3
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/matplotlib/backends/backend_gtk3.py", line 49, in <module>
    raise ImportError(exc) from exc
ImportError: constructor returned NULL 

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this error or shall I bring it to the matplotlib or Wayland people. I am using latest releases, kernel 5.9.10, python 3.8.6, matplotlib 3.3.3.

It runs fine on xorg session.

I had the same error with Paperwork today. The problem is the missing tcross cursor in the xcursor-breeze theme:

cd /usr/share/icons/xcursor-breeze/cursors/
sudo cp cross tcross