Local SSL certificate issue

My website got hacked which forced me to do a clean install of my website. I also upgraded my hosting plan which put me on a new server. When I go to the new site, on my manjaro machine only, I get a message that the site is not secure (no SSL). When I look at the details it shows that there is a self signed certificate that is expired. I checked on my phone, my son’s computer and a friend’s computer and they all load corectly, so it appears to only be on my computer.

In searching the forums and Google I tried flushing the local dns, and ran curl. Curl showed me that the url was resolving to the old IP address (see below). I tried running resolvectl and it would not accept the new ip address.

I think the question is how do I find the ssl certificate that was self signed and remove it? I am not a linux expert, maybe a tad over newbie, lol

Curl output
curl -1v https://greatbookshop.com

• Trying 199.33.112.227:443…
  • Connected to greatbookshop.com (199.33.112.227) port 443 (#0)
  • ALPN, offering h2
  • ALPN, offering http/1.1
  • CAfile: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
  • CApath: none
  • TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
  • TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
  • TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Encrypted Extensions (8):
  • TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
  • TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS alert, unknown CA (560):
  • SSL certificate problem: self signed certificate
  • Closing connection 0
    curl: (60) SSL certificate problem: self signed certificate
    More details here: curl - SSL CA Certificates

curl failed to verify the legitimacy of the server and therefore could not
establish a secure connection to it. To learn more about this situation and
how to fix it, please visit the web page mentioned above.

Indeed the wrong address is resolved.

Check your /etc/hosts file, mabe you’ve added an entry there in the past :man_shrugging:

cat /etc/hosts

Bingo - Hosts was the problem. I made that entry about 18 months ago when I first started the site. Thank you so much!

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.