Local dns does not update

So I’ve had a VPS running on a domain. The IP changed and I updated the DNS records with the registrar. On other devices/OS I reach the new server IP with the domain name but on Manjaro the old IP sticks (unless I manually add a hosts file entry). I’ve tried some stuff I found online but basically none of it applied. Restart also does not work.

here’s some info

[xxx@xbase ~]$ systemctl --user list-unit-files --state=enabled
UNIT FILE                    STATE   VENDOR PRESET
xdg-user-dirs-update.service enabled enabled      
dirmngr.socket               enabled enabled      
gpg-agent-browser.socket     enabled enabled      
gpg-agent-extra.socket       enabled enabled      
gpg-agent-ssh.socket         enabled enabled      
gpg-agent.socket             enabled enabled      
p11-kit-server.socket        enabled enabled      
pipewire.socket              enabled enabled      
pulseaudio.socket            enabled enabled      

9 unit files listed.
[xxx@xbase ~]$ cat /etc/nsswitch.conf
# Name Service Switch configuration file.
# See nsswitch.conf(5) for details.

passwd: files mymachines systemd
group: files [SUCCESS=merge] mymachines systemd
shadow: files

publickey: files

hosts: files mymachines mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve [!UNAVAIL=return] dns mdns4 myhostname
networks: files

protocols: files
services: files
ethers: files
rpc: files

netgroup: files
[xxx@xbase ~]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
search fritz.box
nameserver fd00::3681:c4ff:fe0e:5bc6

Which DNS are you using? It could take up to 48 hours for DNS changes to propagate.

You might want to restart your Fritz!Box. It caches DNS entries depending on the ttl of the DNS recored. If you use the DNS Server from your Provider it might not help and takes really long (German Telekom for example, is known to be a little bit slower.)

If you have dig installed (bind package) you can test for example Google DNS.

dig manjaro.org @

I don’t know why restarting the router worked, because in Windows (same machine) the correct IP was resolved (also my mobile phone using WLAN). I had also previously disabled my custom DNS in the router with no success. Ah well, thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.