List directories before files in "Open file" dialogs

Hi, I am new to Manjaro. Could you tell me what do I have to change in order to let the “Open file” menus of different programs list directories before the files? This seems like a system dialog, what many – if not all – application use to browse the files in the system.

Also a slightly related question (I guess I can configure it at the same place): where can I set bookmarks/shortcuts in these dialogs?

Thanks!

The method depends on the toolkit - and I only know how do it with GTK file dialog.

dconf write /org/gtk/settings/file-chooser/sort-directories-first true
1 Like

Hi,

This are the places that interest you when using the native KDE Plasma file dialog in different programs.

It also depends, as the GTK file dialog in some programs follow another logic, as pointed out above.

3 Likes

The dialog a lot simpler in my system. :frowning: There is no cogwheel icon, and there is not button for the drop-down list for sorting…
KDE Plasma 5.22.5
KDE Frameworks: 5.85.0
Qt Version: 5.15.2

I can’t embed an image, nor add a link…

You are talking about the GTK file dialog that some program use, like inkscape for example.

While in that dialog, you right click on empty space inside it, and you can activate this options:

Gimp will give different options, or none of the above.

1 Like

Thanks! I think I’ve got too many GTK programs :slight_smile:
I would have bet that I’ve checked the right mouse click option, but it might have used a different dialog.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.