Linux57 and linux58 breaks dependencies

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)

I keep running into this same issue whenever I try to update.
Attaching screenshot.

Thanks in advance!

Please next time share the output as text, not a screenshot.
Anyway, remove both 5.7 and 5.8 kernels (as are EOL = end of life) trough MHWD, then update the system.

2 Likes

Hi @joshithar,

As @bogdancovaciu, both linux57 and linux58 are E.O.L. (See this wikipedia page for more info should you require it.)

Hence it is recommended they be removed and another installed. Personally, I’d recommend linux54 and/or linux510 as the forrmer is an LTS (Long Term Support) version and the latter set to become the next LTS version.

1 Like

We removed both kernel series from our repositories. Also Nvidia 430 drivers got removed. The system tries to install Linux54, Linux510 and latest Nvidia drivers for you. Since you already use Linux59 you can also simply remove both kernel series before you try to update:

sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux57 linux58

1 Like

I still end up with this error though:

[sudo] password for jo:
checking dependencies…
:: removing linux58-nvidia-430xx breaks dependency ‘linux58-nvidia-430xx’ required by linux-latest-nvidia-430xx

I there any other way to go about this?

Certainly, thanks for excusing the rookie mistake

also tried this:

sudo pacman -R linux58-nvidia-430xx nvidia-430xx-utils
[sudo] password for jo:
checking dependencies…
:: removing nvidia-430xx-utils breaks dependency ‘nvidia-utils’ required by lib32-nvidia-utils
:: removing linux58-nvidia-430xx breaks dependency ‘linux58-nvidia-430xx’ required by linux-latest-nvidia-430xx
:: removing nvidia-430xx-utils breaks dependency ‘nvidia-430xx-utils=430.64’ required by linux419-nvidia-430xx
:: removing nvidia-430xx-utils breaks dependency ‘nvidia-430xx-utils=430.64’ required by linux54-nvidia-430xx
:: removing nvidia-430xx-utils breaks dependency ‘nvidia-430xx-utils=430.64’ required by linux57-nvidia-430xx

I have absolutely no idea is this will work. So please excuse any damages this might cause.

Try removing them with mhwd:

sudo mhwd -r linux58-nvidia-430xx
sudo mhwd -r nvidia-430xx-utils

After which, if everything went well and was successful, you should be able to remove the kernels and install a new one:

sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux57
sudo mhwd-kernel -r linux58
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux54 # For kernel v5.4 (which is LTS)
sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux510 # For kernel v5.10 (which is set to be the next LTS)

And then, if all went well, I recommend installing the nouvou drivers for nVidia and rebooting. If all goes well the, you can check if your nVidia card is supported by the proprietary drivers and if they are, install them if you wish.

I hope this helps!

Hey, apparently mhwd cant remove it:

sudo mhwd -r linux58-nvidia-430xx
[sudo] password for jo:
Error: invalid use of option: -r/–remove

Then it was installed with pamac and I got it wrong, sorry. Try removing all nVidia drivers with pamac to see if that works:

pamac remove  linux57-nvidia-430xx
pamac remove  linux58-nvidia-430xx

(But I’ve just checked and it doesn’t seeem that linux58-nvidia-430xx is unavailable, seems to has been dropped, or something.) In that case, try

pamac search nvidia

…and paste the output here.

And please wrap any output from the command line in tripple backticks (```) so that it’s correctly formatted.

So I managed to remove the dependencies using:

sudo pacman -R linux58-nvidia-430xx linux-latest-nvidia-430xx linux419-nvidia-430xx linux54-nvidia-430xx linux57-nvidia-430xx lib32-nvidia-utils nvidia-430xx-utils 

and then was able to use

I currently have the following kernals

Currently running: 5.9.11-3-MANJARO (linux59)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux419
   * linux54
   * linux59

Is it advisable to remove linux419 as well? and install linux510??

my system is currently updating and hoepefully everything turns out okay :crossed_fingers:

And then, if all went well, I recommend installing the nouvou drivers for nVidia and rebooting. If all goes well the, you can check if your nVidia card is supported by the proprietary drivers and if they are, install them if you wish.

Little skeptical about installing nouvou drivers as I faced a lot of issues initially finding what was supported by the proprietary drivers :sweat_smile:

Is there any other thread or procedure I can look through o check out setting up nouvou?

My only reason for suggesting this, is so that you would be able to get into a GUI and go from there. But if everything’s going OK, and you’re happy then you can rather do what you’re comfortable with.

1 Like

Thanks @Mirdarthos !!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.