Linux kernel update stuck at keymap

I am trying to install 514 kernel.

I have used command :

yay linux514

The process is stuck at :

Abhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst …
Nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen wird gesucht …

Pakete (2) linux514-5.14.21-2 linux514-headers-5.14.21-2

Gesamtgröße des Downloads: 126,61 MiB
Gesamtgröße der installierten Pakete: 228,22 MiB

:: Installation fortsetzen? [J/n]
:: Pakete werden empfangen …
linux514-5.14.21-2-x86_64 97,0 MiB 5,76 MiB/s 00:17 [#############################################################################] 100%
linux514-headers-5.14.21-2-x86_64 29,6 MiB 6,82 MiB/s 00:04 [#############################################################################] 100%
Gesamt (2/2) 126,6 MiB 5,95 MiB/s 00:21 [#############################################################################] 100%
(2/2) Schlüssel im Schlüsselbund werden geprüft [#############################################################################] 100%
(2/2) Paket-Integrität wird überprüft [#############################################################################] 100%
(2/2) Paket-Dateien werden geladen [#############################################################################] 100%
(2/2) Auf Dateikonflikte wird geprüft [#############################################################################] 100%
(2/2) Verfügbarer Festplattenspeicher wird ermittelt [#############################################################################] 100%
:: Paketänderungen werden verarbeitet …
(1/2) Installiert wird linux514-headers [#############################################################################] 100%

NOTE: 5.14.21 is the last maintenance release for the linux514 series.
This kernel is now marked ‘End Of Life’ (EOL).

It is recommend to switch to the newer linux515 series:
'sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux515'

(2/2) Installiert wird linux514 [#############################################################################] 100%

NOTE: 5.14.21 is the last maintenance release for the linux514 series.
This kernel is now marked ‘End Of Life’ (EOL).

It is recommend to switch to the newer linux515 series:
'sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux515'

Optionale Abhängigkeiten für linux514
crda: to set the correct wireless channels of your country [Installiert]
:: Post-transaction-Hooks werden gestartet …
(1/5) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate…
(2/5) Updating module dependencies…
(3/5) Updating linux initcpios…
==> Building image from preset: /etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux514.preset: ‘default’
→ -k /boot/vmlinuz-5.14-x86_64 -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-5.14-x86_64.img
==> Starting build: 5.14.21-2-MANJARO
→ Running build hook: [base]
→ Running build hook: [udev]
→ Running build hook: [autodetect]
→ Running build hook: [modconf]
→ Running build hook: [block]
→ Running build hook: [keyboard]
→ Running build hook: [keymap]

Same with Linux515.

Both behave the same way if I use :

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux515

Please help.

Don’t. 5.14 is EOL and will soon be dropped. Install either 5.15 or use one of the trusted LTS kernels such as 5.4 or 5.10.

That’s not the right way to install a kernel anyway. You need to use… :arrow_down:

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linuxNN

… whereby linuxNN stands for linux54, linux510 or linux515.

As I wrote above, I used the

sudo mhwd-kernel -i LMN

method as well

It also behaves the same way, and stuck at build hook keymap.

Please let me know if this can be resolved.

You only added that to your post later. It wasn’t there yet when I was typing up my reply. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, what you could try is the following… Open up the file /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and look for the line that starts with… :arrow_down:

HOOKS=(base udev ...

In that line, replace the word udev by systemd and the word keymap by sd-vconsole.

Save the file, and then run… :arrow_down:

sudo mkinitcpio -P

What is output of

locale -a
1 Like

It is

C
de_DE.utf8
en_US.utf8
POSIX

It was

HOOKS="base…

Other than that it went well.

I am on 515 now

1 Like

That might explain why it didn’t work. The syntax for the HOOKS line was changed a while ago from using double quotes to using ellipses, and it may be that the newest mkinitcpio doesn’t support the old syntax anymore.

Using systemd instead of udev and sd-vconsole instead of keymap is also better, and your system will actually boot a little bit faster now.

Hmmm Interestingly, even with the old/wrong syntax, it went half way through.

Grub would not update after mkinitcpio. Si I turned off the OS_PROBE line in /etc/default/grub – then I have the new entries in my boot menu

If it was due to os-prober, then it wasn’t actually hanging. os-prober can take quite some time to scan your drives. :man_shrugging:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.