Linux books and other guide recommendations

For someone who wants to learn Linux, there are many books available. Such as the Linux bible which can be bought for $100, but what materials or learning paths would you recommend?

Honestly? Learning by doing. Not reading books(I normally love reading books), just practice. I made the way: I was serveradmin for a gaming clan and years after I started using Ubuntu and then I went to Manjaro stable and now Iā€™m at Manjaro testing.
But thatā€™s because of the fact, that Iā€™m probably one of those people who first tries out sudo rm -rf / and then finds out, that itā€™s not a good idea.

But I may say: It depends a bit what you want to learn, for which purpose and at which level.

Of course, Iā€™m also going to need exercises and step-by-step instructions that I can repeat.

My recommendation would be ā€œthe linux command lineā€ by William Shotts. The author describes the system very well and has plenty of practical examples. Further advantage he makes his book available as free pdf.
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Free information is always good, but this is so good Iā€™m still tempted of buying a hard copy.

1 Like
  • Linux Foundation offers a free course through edx, Introduction to Linux (LFS101)

• @alchemix online book recommendation.

• As you are working through the book online or the class, you might like to visit the unofficial Bash FAQ or one of the GNU manuals.
  • Most programs and/or desktops have a home site with documentation and maybe some tutorials, as do distributions.

• Learn to use the man command.

A problem with the more generalized books for linux is that they are specific to a distribution, the material is quickly outdated, and most of it is online already.

1 Like

To be more precise, Iā€™m looking for guidance or ā€˜directionā€™. I need to be told what to do and how. Because I canā€™t ask for something if I donā€™t know if it exists.

Did you look at the links that have been provided in the answers? I would consider all of them very good starting points, they were at least when i was a complete noob. Nowadays you might also use youtube to find a good introduction.