Limited connectivity, wired connection

Hey Everyone,

My main WiFi networks uses a PiHole as a DNS server. When I connect via this WiFi, I see a question mark as a WiFi icon. But I can easily surf and reach addresses on the Internet. So, in my view, everything should work. Why is the question mark displayed? I am using Gnome 49.0 under Wayland.

Thanks in advance for the time and help, it is greatly appreciated!

Network connectivity check is failing, I assume it is because of this:
https://status.manjaro.org/

Thanks! Are you seeing the same issue ?

Yes, same here.

Right now the server for the check is broken. If the question mark does not disappear after it is fixed, you may have to allow http://ping.manjaro.org in your PI. Or disable it, if you do not connect your laptop in hotels, cafes, airports etc. places using captive portals.

p.s. several hours later - server should again be up. Although the status page still does report problem
p.p.s. broke again. Well, we will just wait a little more.

I have a computer with two separate hard drives, each running its own operating system. One is Manjaro KDE plasma 6.3.6 and the other, MX Linux 23 KDE plasma 5.27.5.

I noticed today that the icon in the system tray shows limited connectivity on my Manjaro system. However, when I switch to MX Linux it shows a normal connectivity in the system tray.

I don’t see any kind of performance issues at all, and I have full speed on both systems when I perform a speed test. I also did a ping test “ping google.com”, and I have “0” packet loss! Any idea what else could effect this?

Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8211/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: Gigabyte driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d000 bus-ID: 03:00.0
IF: enp3s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac:

System:
Kernel: 6.12.48-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 15.2.1
Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 6.3.6 Distro: Manjaro base: Arch Linux

limited conect

I’m seeing the same issue here. looking up I have found this.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NetworkManager#Checking_connectivity

It appears to be an issue with NetworkManager accessing the site set in the configuration

Not to create a list of ‘me too’s’ but, it is happening here as well since this morning.
I have three computers here;

  • Work laptop - MS Windows 11 - No issues
  • Manjaro Testing desktop - No issues, but limited connectivity notification
  • Manjaro Unstable laptop - No issues, but limited connectivity notification

I assume there is a server side connectivity test that is not responding.

So, I pinged what was found in /usr/lib/NetworkManager/conf.d/20-connectivity.conf which configures where the connectivity check is made to.

PING ping.manjaro.org (116.203.91.91) 56(84) bytes of data. ^C --- ping.manjaro.org ping statistics --- 8 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 7103ms

So yeah. There’s an issue right there.

I have the issue as well. Internet seems to be working fine. Just limited connectivity showing.

It seems to be because https://status.manjaro.org/ is down and that is the Manjaro connectivity checkpoint.

to be precise, but yes, that was it, server was down. Should be working now.

No, it’s happening again.

Same here, using iwd.

What’s the purpose of the connectivity checkpoint? Does disabling it break anything or impact other features in a negative way?

Thanks!

Network manager keeps saying limited connectivity, that is confusing, since everything is ok with connectivity…

If you are on a laptop and you visit and connect to free wifi in public locations (hotels, airports, cafes, universities, etc.) you need it since it triggers the dialog/popup for login in the so called captive portal of the public network where you login, accept conditions etc.

If it is a desktop connected with wire at home of office you can safely disable it as per the link above or here (4.4) - NetworkManager - ArchWiki

Yes. Just ignore it for the time being. The server is broken, will probably be fixed soon. There are already several topics about this so i suggest to keep everything in one place (the explanation what it is and how to disable it if really really needed). But generally, you do not have to do anything.

Indeed. I just merged a couple duplicate topics here.

:information_source: Phil is aware of the issue and is investigating. :hourglass_flowing_sand: