Light display manager failed to start after an update

After a black screen for a bit, I get the message: Light Display Manager failed to start

I’ve tried a lot of stuff from other similar topics but none of it helped and a lot was for Nvidia cards. I have an AMD. I cannot for the life of me figure out where the problem is coming from and I’m not sure what files I should upload to make it possible to help me. I got a chroot working with a manjaro live boot, where should I go from here? Please help!

A good start would be these outputs:

journalctl -b0
for x in $(ls /var/log/ | grep Xorg); do echo -e "---$x---\n\n $(cat /var/log/$x)\n"; done
systemctl status lightdm
for x in $(ls /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/); do echo -e "---$x---\n\n $(cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/$x)\n\n"; done

If the log is very long, you can upload it with

<given_command> | curl -T - https://aptget.xyz/<choose_specific_name>.txt

I know this is an old thread, but I have the exact same issue as OP. Well, except I’m a noob at all things Linux :sweat_smile: But I managed to reproduce the steps you provided, and produce two logs. Care to help a man in need? Not sure how to share the logs with you :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

@BloodaxeNOR Better create new issue since the problem could be the same, but the solution is different :wink:

1 Like