Libreoffice 7.0.4 startup is VERY slow

Yeah I know, I like how it looks already but for whatever reason it just ■■■■ up

1 Like

I don’t get any terminal errors… but if I do ‘time openoffice --writer’ I don’t get any time posted in the terminal unless I close writer.

When I try to launch it, I get the window zooming in but not painting any contents for a full 3-4 seconds and about 12 seconds before the cursor starts blinking…

If I open a text file, like mpv.conf with writer, it takes 12 seconds to get a blinking edit cursor (with WPS it’s under a second).

This is really bugging me. I really hate snaps, but I did snap install libreoffice and (as expected) it was a much bigger install - snap gives so much spam if you ever look in directories…
Anyway, it took about twice as long to load, so it got the instant purge…

Then I did flatpak install libreoffice and found it there.

❯ time flatpak run org.libreoffice.LibreOffice
Gtk-Message: 19:36:59.629: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 19:36:59.629: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: 19:36:59.630: Failed to load module "xapp-gtk3-module"
flatpak run org.libreoffice.LibreOffice  0.02s user 0.01s system 0% cpu 12.568 total

So if you 're not too fussy to use flatpak - the theming isn’t quite native, but it’s tidy enough - it’s gonna give you <2 second load time, decent experience I think. It managed a respectable response and display for my son’s markdown book from a right click in just a tad over 2 seconds, so I’m okay with this.

What do you think? I might even keep this to compare with WPS occasionally.

Perhaps an elimination of the issue being system wide or a user issue is in order.
Create a new user and try running LibreOffice and report if the issue still exists.

1 Like

Wow, this is so obvious. The issue doesn’t exist with a guest user… so I need to look at refreshing my install because I also noticed the font rendering is good in the guest account, but not with my own login…

Step 1:
I simply opened dolphin, home directory, select .config and F2 renamed it .config-bak and then ctrl+Alt+backspace out of the session.

Logged in again to a vanilla looking session (obviously not quite fresh) and libre started up perfectly… so this is obviously some conflict or error caused by personal settings.

So I guess now it’s time to start moving stuff back bit by bit and see where it recurs.

Step 2:
I’ve restored most stuff - though there were many things not worth restoring, just deleted… and a bit of work to get things set again in plasma. I’m wondering if it was some font issue, but it’s not so easy to pinpoint.

Anyway, here’s another lesson to go with all the Timeshift backup warnings - this ‘bug’ could have been something I changed months ago without noticing… but it seems that my desktop is setup the same way it was yesterday, many old config files are now cleaned out, and Libre (fresh) is running very smoothly.

However, I also decided to re-test the new Libreoffice by grabbing a template:

Sadly, Libreoffice shows the tendency which encouraged me to seek an alternative last year… it just doesn’t happen to manage Word documents without distortions.

Please include output of glances (process monitor, install it) and system logs (journalctl).

My Libreoffice.

Anyway I’m cautiously optimist since the problem seems to be fixed. I don’t know either how or why, but it must be something weird I did (which could be installing and removing the 5.9 kernel and reinstalling nvidia drivers)