Libffi.so.8 error in most of the package

Hi, I am using manajro for a couple of years.
I have earlier used virt-manager but this time it gave error

[gunit@gunit ~]$ virt-manager
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/virt-manager", line 6, in <module>
    from virtManager import virtmanager
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/virtmanager.py", line 15, in <module>
    import gi
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/site-packages/gi/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
    from . import _gi
ImportError: libffi.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

and i recently added arco linux repo to pacman and added variety and it also gave same error and even clang3.5.1 which i added to build unreal gave error

libffi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

plz help me fix this problem

That’s cause – libffi package in Arch/Acrolinux repos provide libffi.so.8 while in Manjaro repos it’s libffi.so.7. You should remove Acrolinux repo and downgrade packages which are newer than in Manjaro repos.

variety can be installed from the normal Manjaro repos - no need to add the Arcolinux repo for that

I already have many package of arcolinux like vscode and themes and other dev tools so i cant remove it but i updated libffi and now its libffi.so.7 error and not only for virt-manager but for all other apps

and downgrading to its previous version gives same error i can now alteast run other apps

using variety with arcolinux repo gives theme of it. i am running manjaro but theme and de and wm are of arcolinux

If the variety package from Arcolinux contains configurations/customisations that you like:
you now have that package in your cache - just extract the configuration files and use it/them with the variety that comes from Manjaro repo which does not contain ready made configuration files?

edit:
I just had a look at the variety packages from Arcolinux:

Search · org:arcolinux variety · GitHub

there are configuration files in
/etc/skel/.config/autostart
and
/etc/skel/.config/variety

just keep them - and the variety from Manjaro will use them …

no need to install and use an incompatibe repo for that :wink:

You where just after the pre-made configuration which does not exist in Manjaro or Arch …

So you should install and use Acrolinux instead of Manjaro. You can wait for update or move to testing or unstable branch which should have already required version. But if you want to stay on stable branch, you should be aware that this problem may return from time to time (that may be also on testing or unstable, but you receive update faster). There is no other solutions for it if you don’t want to resign Acrolinux repos :man_shrugging:

ok ok i will remove arcolinux repo and try sudo pacman -Syu
it gave
warning: libffi: ignoring package upgrade (3.3-4 => 3.4.2-4) resolving dependencies... warning: ignoring package libffi-3.4.2-4 warning: cannot resolve "libffi.so=8-64", a dependency of "glib2" warning: ignoring package libffi-3.4.2-4

what should i do now i skiped it as it gave error on upgrading libffi

Run sudo pacman -Syuu to allow downgrade.

[gunit@gunit ~]$ sudo pacman -Syuu

:: Starting full system upgrade...
warning: libffi: ignoring package upgrade (3.3-4 => 3.4.2-4)
resolving dependencies...
warning: ignoring package libffi-3.4.2-4
warning: cannot resolve "libffi.so=8-64", a dependency of "glib2"
:: The following package cannot be upgraded due to unresolvable dependencies:
      glib2

:: Do you want to skip the above package for this upgrade? [y/N] n
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: unable to satisfy dependency 'libffi.so=8-64' required by glib2

using yay to update it to 3.4.2 worked but then all apps gave error libffi.so.7 no such file or directory

what if you DO skip it - and address that later? …
… or do it first - by itself, just that one package?

then glib2 is only package to upgrade and all other apps stop working giving libffi.so.7 no found

what apps are not working?

pacman?
This is the only one that needs to work, as of now … to fix the mess :wink:

thanks, I upgraded libffi then glib2 and everything worked

can you help to solve this problem too :grin: [gunit@gunit ~]$ clang --version clang: error while loading shared libraries: libffi.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
i edited pacman, extra to download clang3.5.1 and then this error came :sweat_smile:

i want clang3.5 to build Unreal-Engine

I’d have to try myself to see what happens - and then potentially troubleshoot
but I’m not going to … :man_shrugging:

I do remember having seen (rather recently) issues about building the unreal engine here on this very forum - just a couple of days ago.
Try to locate these and see if what is said there helps.

Yeah definitely it takes a day just to compile and download this massive 100gigs editor but i am building a very older version 4.10 and latest is 4.27 and on ubuntu clang works fine so i will just use live usb but thanks for your help

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.