Hi everyone,
Total newbie here. I have an ancient 480M GTX laptop that ran Cinnamon 18.1.3 fine but it couldn’t update via gui. So I tried pacman and pamac updates from the terminal and got various glibc errors followed by a crash that prompted me to use another TTY. I can get in but thought it would be quicker to transfer data over and do a fresh install than try to fix it.
The latest versions of manjaro don’t install install (fail on light display manager) so I dug up the original 18.1.3 cinnamon iso and got a live version running as originally. Interesting but probably irrelevant side note - I can see all my data without entering the luks password.
Now trying to update pacman and getting the usual errors:
installing libcanberra (0.30+2+gc0620e4-4) breaks dependency ‘libcanberra=0.32+2+gc0620e4-2’ required by libcanberra-gstreamer
removing kmpcore3 breaks dependency ‘kpmcore3’ required by partionmanager3
In the latest stable update message it says
You might be blocked updating when using pacman due to some libcanberra packages. Simply remove those packages: sudo pacman -Rdd lib32-libcanberra-pulse lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer libcanberra-pulse libcanberra-gstreamer. We recommend to use pamac anyway, which does this automatically: pamac update
Attempting to remove returns error 'target not found: lib32-libcanberra-gstreamer. Pamac update returns the same ibcanberra and kpmcore depedency issues.
Am I doomed to install an unupdatable version? Would be ok for what the machine would be used for but I thought this might be an opportunity to learn something.