Lenovo Yoga 13 Synaptic Touch Pad stops working after closing and opening lid

I recently installed Manjaro on an older Lenovo Yoga 13 I had laying around. It is a Core i5 that initially came with Windows 8 (to point out how old it is).

The install went well, ran the live environment for a while and everything seemed to work fine.

Now that it is installed, when I close the lid, while still running the, when I re-open the lid the Synaptic Touch Pad stops working. I’m relatively new to Linux, I understand some of the basics, but many of the support posts I’ve found on the general internet either do not work or not applicable to Manjaro. (They are Ubuntu or other Debian based distro)

Any help would be great. For now, the touch screen still works, and I can click through to restart the laptop using that, but would like to get the track pad to work when the list is closed and opened.

Here is the output of “cat /proc/bus/input/devices” relevant to the Synaptic TouchPad.

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=01b1
N: Name=“SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad”
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input15
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=event9 mouse1
B: PROP=5
B: EV=b
B: KEY=e520 10000 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=660800011000003

try changing grub parameters:

sudo /etc/default/grub

change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=0

update grub:

sudo update-grub

:crossed_fingers:

Unfortunately, no. This did not work. Just to confirm, I opened the grub file, updated the line mentioned, updated grub with the command indicated. Then closed and opened the laptop, the touchpad didn’t work. Then I restarted the laptop, the touchpad worked. Closed and opened the lid, and it again stopped working.

remove from this line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX and add to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT, dont remove the existing parameters, sudo update-grub and reboot

Still, unfortunately no luck. Thank you for your efforts.

Also, I should add, I can reproduce this consistently with putting the computer to sleep and waking it. I assume that is what closing the lid and opening it is doing automatically.

Adding to this, I installed xinput from the xorg package.

Using xinput list I can see the Synaptic TouchPad device id. Running xinput list-props "SynPs/2 Synaptics TouchPad" shows the device prop “Device Enabled (175): 0”.

Running xinput --enable {device Id} gets the touchpad working again.

Now how do I get this to apply following a System Wake event?

Had issues trying to setup a script in /usr/lib/systemd/system-sleep as I found on several sites. Running the xinput command caused errors that it could not connect to the XServer. I’m guessing this is due to a timing issue? Or I just cannot run the command during this system hook.

As a work around for now I found the Touchpad settings in the keyboard shortcuts and mapped “Toggle Touch Pad Status” to Ctrl-Shft-T and for now, if the laptop sleeps I can use the key combo to enable the touchpad after wakeup.

Setting was in Settings > Shortcuts > System Services > Touchpad > Toggle Touchpad