Lenovo T440 trackpad issue: sometimes not working on resume from sleep .. workaround (or maybe fixed?)

Thanks if this is indeed the case (which it may well be) but as I read it, it’s a Plasma bug which has persisted for a while, This is why I placed it in the KDE Plasma section.

Also, seems to be working after the 3rd sleep/wake (didn’t resume on the third venue last night due to some issues at the last venue).

Oh, I wasn’t aware. Is there an open bug report?

Not sure but will check, in the morning when I can see a bit better! I do know from previous research that this has been complained about before so will post here what I can find on it. Cheers :relaxed:

… Edited again for tyoos & missed bits … I can’t see … :blush:

I’m tempted to do a series of sleep & wake cycles in the morning but Custard has decided the mouse is her domain tonight so sorry if there was an extraneous post just now.

ETA: as long as I have control of the keyboard, Custard is one of my Feline companions!

FETA: Having been suitably trampled and having done a number of sleep/wake cycles, all appears to be well, so far. Everything connects; no worries about mouse, KB or other external peripherals. Trackpad seems to work fine.

Thx for that hint. Unfortunately the above-mentioned parameters doesn’t work.

Tried:

Effect: Touchpad works but it works bad. Best solution for me seems to be shutdown also mentioned in arch-wiki. :frowning_face:

Update: Tried again

psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=0

this time with update-grub and restart. Now ist works :smiley:

2 Likes

Aha! Now let’s see if it persists across sleep and wake cycles. It seems to have done so on my machine; tried a number of times during the night and the machine slept & woke promptly with no issues following the update & reboot, without re-issuing the modprobe commands.

This had been a persistent (and for me at least, rather inconvenient) issue.

Sorry I forgot to add that you have to run update-grub after editing boot options. Glad you figured it out :slight_smile:

No Prob - your hint ‘etc/default/grub’ was great. Happy that it works. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Go for a long term test now :wink:
By the way, I use cinnamon and I guess I read our touchpad issue is a non solved Kernel-Bug.

I certainly will be doing so. Will let you know how this goes! So far so good, though.

Fine!

But one additional question: Do you have any “cursor jump issues” on your t440?

Not experienced any on this one so far. I don’t know if this would make any difference but I have tapping disabled; I use the full click on the trackpad.

Ok -thx for that info.

I should update to say I did need to re-apply the modprobe stuff on first resume with the new 5.8 Kernel but not had do so since, so far.

Update:

This no longer works with the new 5.10 kernel.

Get a FATAL: error as the module is now integrated in the kernel. Had to revert to 5.9 but this worries me as this series will be out of support in due course and, although I can use a mouse THIS ISSUE PREVENTS SLEEP which is a show-stopper. When this occurs I have to shut down before I can put it in the bag which is not acceptable. I will need it for a service call tomorrow, for example.

If they haven’t fixed the bug, why on earth did they integrate it?

Any workarounds for this?

You can put a script in /lib/systemd/system-sleep/touchpad and chmod 755 and it’ll run on wake.

Hi chovy,

I am also using a T440s with latest version of Manjaro and also have the issue that my touchpad isn´t working anymore after sleep. It would be great if you could specify the content of the script as it is not clear for me what to add.

Thanks and regards

The kernel fix worked for me. Details below.

My machine:

Host: 20KGS03800 ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th 
Kernel: 5.10.34-1-MANJARO
DE: Plasma 5.21.4

Open /etc/default/grub with a text editor of choice (e.g. sudo vim /etc/default/grub). Append psmouse.synaptics_intertouch=0 to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=.
Reboot. Then close the lid or enter sleep mode manually and resume. The touchpad should work immediately (and so should the shoulder keys).

1 Like