"Launch and Switch Applications" gets stuck after booting

After the latest update, the Super+/which launches the Launcher (that’s a toungue twister!) gets stuck every time I boot. But after a while, it works as intended.

Can you guys suggest me which log files I should check to see what’s going at that time? and also, how to actually see the log files!

Running this command while attempting to reproduce the issue may show related errors:

journalctl -f -o cat /usr/bin/gnome-shell
1 Like

I just observed a Quantum Phenomenon in my Laptop!

Scenario 1:
reboot
open terminal and run that command
then try to reproduce the error
but it works just fine!!

Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 73 with keysym 73 (keycode 27).
Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 6f with keysym 6f (keycode 20).
Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x1e00008 specified for 0x1e00010.
GNOME Shell started at Sun Oct 03 2021 01:01:08 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)
Registering session with GDM
Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 73 with keysym 73 (keycode 27).
Window manager warning: Overwriting existing binding of keysym 6f with keysym 6f (keycode 20).
Can't update stage views actor MetaWindowGroup is on because it needs an allocation.
Can't update stage views actor MetaWindowActorX11 is on because it needs an allocation.
Can't update stage views actor MetaSurfaceActorX11 is on because it needs an allocation.
pop-shell:  [WARN] pop-shell: deprecated function called (dialog_launcher::load_desktop_files)
pop-shell: [ERROR] failed to read response from launcher service: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Operation was cancelled
Can't update stage views actor MetaWindowGroup is on because it needs an allocation.
Can't update stage views actor MetaWindowActorX11 is on because it needs an allocation.
Can't update stage views actor MetaSurfaceActorX11 is on because it needs an allocation.
updates_checker.vala:71: check updates
updates_checker.vala:101: 0 updates found

Scenario 2:
reboot
Try to use Super+/
it does not work!
depending on how fast I could run the command, I got two differnt outputs.

invalid uninstantiatable type '<invalid>' in cast to 'GObject'
g_object_get_qdata: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
invalid uninstantiatable type '<invalid>' in cast to 'GObject'
g_object_set_qdata_full: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
cogl_pango_ensure_glyph_cache_for_layout: assertion 'PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
pango_renderer_draw_layout: assertion 'PANGO_IS_LAYOUT (layout)' failed
pop-shell: [ERROR] failed to read response from launcher service: Gio.IOErrorEnum: Operation was cancelled
pop-shell:  [WARN] pop-shell: deprecated function called (dialog_launcher::load_desktop_files)

and

failed to get settings for org.gnome.shell.extensions.pop-cosmic: Error: GSettings schema org.gnome.shell.extensions.pop-cosmic not found
loading user theme: /usr/share/themes/Adwaita-maia-compact-dark/gnome-shell/gnome-shell.css
Error looking up permission: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: No entry for geolocation
GNOME Shell started at Sun Oct 03 2021 01:05:11 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)

My guess is that it has something to do with the PopShell extensioni that I am using.

Please advise.

as a side question, how do you guys write the long log files neatly? like hiding it or at least make it take up less space? I am just using the backticks to make a code block but it takes up so much space!

For some reason pop-launcher is being stubborn. I can’t reproduce it and I don’t see any related upstream issues.

A couple things to try:

• Disable all other extensions except for Pop Shell, then logout / login. If you can’t reproduce it, there may be another extension causing an issue.
  • Create a new user and attempt to reproduce it. If you can’t, there may be a user configuration causing issues

Your code blocks are formatted properly, however you can hide them under a spoiler like this:

Title
terminal output

[details=“Title”]

```
terminal output
```

[/details]

1 Like

Sorry, I was really busy for a while so I could not follow through. Now it seems it is not doing that. If I face this issue again I will try the other steps.

one more thing, I cannot find the extension pop shell or pop cosmic in the gnome shell extension website. In any case, here is my journalctl output

`journalct -f -o cat /usr/bin/gnome-shell
Window manager warning: Invalid WM_TRANSIENT_FOR window 0x2600008 specified for 0x2600010.
GNOME Shell started at Wed Oct 06 2021 22:19:34 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)

The Pop!_OS extensions are not published on the GNOME Extension site as they are not standalone. When COSMIC is ready, you’ll see it in the Manjaro repos. :wink:

1 Like