Latest version of Calibre 4.23.0-2 eBook reader appears to be missing icons \ desktop files

Hi,

I notice after the latest Manjaro update that the ebook reader ‘Calibre’ desktop icons in Gnome are missing. I’m not sure if anything else is broken because I can’t launch the application (even after uninstalling and re-installing). The only thing I can think of is Calibre is going through a major re-write to switch to Python.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Environment Details:

System: Host: hanna Kernel: 5.4.64-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0
Desktop: GNOME 3.36.6 tk: GTK 3.24.23 wm: gnome-shell dm: GDM 3.36.3
Distro: Manjaro Linux

Only calibre-common is not enough you should also install calibre or calibre-python3.

So I have installed calibre-python3. Still no way to launch the application.

Not Gnome same issue on KDE after a new install of Mika.

Searched a bit and found this

After pondering about the different options, i chose to select Breath2 Dark icons in system manager and pop there is de Calibre icon. I presume there is a connection between the icon set and application. Would like to know more about the workings of this behavior.

Thanks for your feedback. With Gnome I was looking for the *.desktop files in “~/.local/share/applications” and did not find any. So this is what I am assuming is missing.

@Tomek @Hanzel

I did some more looking and found the calibre *. desktop files:

/usr/share/applications/calibre-ebook-edit.desktop
/usr/share/applications/calibre-ebook-viewer.desktop
/usr/share/applications/calibre-gui.desktop
/usr/share/applications/calibre-lrfviewer.desktop

So the question is why are the files not showing in the Gnome GUI?

This is an example of one of the desktop files:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Calibre
GenericName=E-book library management
Comment=E-book library management: Convert, view, share, catalogue all your e-books
TryExec=calibre
Exec=calibre --detach %F
Icon=calibre-gui
Categories=Office;
X-GNOME-UsesNotifications=true
MimeType=application/x-cbr;application/x-cbc;application/ereader;application/oebps-package+xml;image/vnd.djvu;application/x-sony-bbeb;application/vnd.ms-   		word.document.macroenabled.12;application/x-mobipocket-subscription;application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document;application/x-mobipocket-ebook;application/vnd.ctc-posml;application/x-mobi8-ebook;application/epub+zip;application/x-cbz;

Ended up re-installing Calibre with either the the python 2 or python 3 package.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.