Last update push me back to Zorin OS

Last update push me back to Zorin OS, sorry.

Manjaro and its problematic upgrades, as well as info about my websites Ketil Ervik October 2, 2024 I made a film today explaining why I suddenly switched from Manjaro to Zorin OS. Manjaro is a stable and great operating system with many possibilities. But unfortunately their rolling distribution upgrades are not always a stable release and have given me some serious surprises over the years. But after the last surprise, I switched to using Zorin OS again.

https://linux-helt-enkelt.se/?p=14551

Rolling releases aren’t for everyone. I’ve found that the most important thing I can do to ensure my system doesn’t experience issues from updates is to read the relevant update announcements for my branch before updating (especially the “Known issues” section), and wait at least a few hours before I run the update in case issues encountered by other users are posted to the update announcement.

The second-most important thing I do is monitor the update announcements for the branch which precedes mine (when on Stable, I would monitor Testing announcements; now that I am on Testing, I monitor Unstable announcements).

If you find that a fixed-point-release such as Zorin OS is more suited to your needs, then that is fine. It all comes down to whether a user prefers system stability, or whether they prefer having the newest software. I find Manjaro to be a good balance - others don’t.

4 Likes

Rolling release distros aren’t for everyone. Also, you could have just told us in a couple of short paragraphs or sentences exactly what went wrong rather than telling us to go watch your video (sorry I’m not going to do that).

3 Likes

Its in norwegian or something anyways.
The message was flagged as spam for the link and I’m torn.

How anyone finds value in a low effort skinned ubuntu … I dont know … it appears zorin no longer offers a pricing tier for a windoze style theme so maybe thats progress?

So you open a Topic in Feedback Area and want us to click on your Third Party Private Video Website Link? Only to see what the actual reason/feedback really is?

There is no way im clicking on that link.

Year’s? Your account is 6 month old… :thinking:

Edit:
@ketil
Then talk about your issues with Manjaro. Here in this Topic…

I talk about manjaro, not the forum.

Vel, they blocket my link here, i dont ceare, and i have no problems vid zorin os, its ok for me. I wone use my computer not onely test! Manjaro its verry god, but have trouble vid update time to time. But i cant have this serus problem time to time that its the fact.

We constantly try to improve updates on the stable branch. One reason is also that we introduced another more robust distribution way we call Manjaro Immutable. You can check if that is more suitable for you: Manjaro Immutable Out Now for Community Testing | Manjaro News

3 Likes

Probably using KDE with a saved session and somehow couldnt find one of the 33 related posts.

3 Likes

The first 3 posts in this topic were originally posted in stable-update-2024-10-01

1 Like

Gud speling thear tue. Nuthing lyke haveng spel chekars, iz thear?

Not sorry that I couldn’t resist. I must be a superconductor or something.
Maybe some commands entered in this fashion broke things? :man_shrugging:

Edit:
To be fair, all you have to do is ask questions and provide any requested info, bearing in mind that the people able to answer such may not be online at the given time. There are plenty of knowledgeable people on here who are more than willing to help with issues, where they can, and often go out of their way to do so.

3 Likes