Laptop keeps rebooting

Tried creating a 4gb partition in gparted but I didn’t see swap anywhere… maybe you can provide a terminal command that I can use and simplify my horrid french-Canadiaj life

tried this

mkswap /dev/sda2
mkswap: cannot open /dev/sda2: Permission denied

should point out that the reason i ditched windows 10 is because it was rebooting too… soo… windows 10 didnt have a swap partition or swap file too ???

Windows create one automatically. You cannot skip that step here like on Linux.

The only reason can be hardware related then. Did you try replace the power supply? As you said, you tested CPU and RAM already. Or restrict your CPU to a certain frequency, what could be also a workaround, but a bad one.

You need superuser privileges for that. :arrow_down:

sudo mkswap /dev/sda2

Windows uses a swap file, which lives on the main partition, and the size of that file will vary over time. GNU/Linux works differently.

Have you double-checked your firmware (BIOS) settings? If it happened in Wondoze, too then it could be hardware or firmware related.

so… you mean to tell me that i accidentally skipped the swap creation part of the installation ?? but the craptop rebooted in windows 10 before i had manjaro… and no i did not replace the power supply on this fujitsu A553/H laptop

:+1:

:arrow_down_small:

No idea then.

i suspect its hardware related too since i am using a different OS… i just thought linux users are smarter than windows users… but i did almost pry the bottom casing of the fujitsu craptop yesterday and saw no visible dust or burn marks

although the 4gb dimm didnt look super green…

Problem is identified. :+1: It has nothing to do with operating system in your case.

That doesn’t have to be the case either. As already said: This laptop is not brand new and does show signs of age. It can also be capacitors on the motherboard that die. At some point it won’t start at all.

and yes i did google the laptop model and it is a recurring problem… but no visible solutions to date… and im in Philippines where the laptop was purchased … no refund policy like that back home in Canada…

i should mention im not anglo-Canadian… im french-Canadian… i do struggle with english alot… please bear with me

downloading a bios update… although i dont know how ill flash the bios in linux… ill figure it out… if you see a huge mushroom cloud in southeast Asia… thats me lol

So, you still have not yet looked into your firmware settings? :expressionless:

i have but i barely understand anything :grinning:

i was thinking to flash the bios with updated information since this laptop is a 10 yr old model… but all the files im getting are to flash the bios using windows exe files or .ROM files… i have no clue what im doing

Maybe I’ll just install win10 alongside Manjaro and stop pestering you nice ppl