Lagging while accessing admin panels or open as root from desktop

While accessing admin panels in settings, system lags to display panel. Like if I click on open as root, it would take a bit to open Nemo to elevated privileges panel. trying to find root cause of the delay. Also looking through time shift, when I click browse it take a good min or more to access it.
Are there any logs that would display this issue?

Do not run GUI applications as root/sudo.

1 Like

When using timeshift just to view your snapshots you have to input sudo passcode just to get into timeshift. Then to browse snapshots. it lags to display info. Or when you go into login settings from settings it lags. No just open as root. its all the info after I input sudo passcode…

Well its not just me, my brother who is running same software. But on another hardware. Im on a Lenovo and he has a Dell. His is doing the same thing. So I think its how manjaro accesses these parts of the GUI. Yes I use GUI, I like the GUI. I use terminal for a lot of things too, but I stick with GUI because I can. I have a mouse too. So stop jabbing people for using GUIs. This is the 21 century so I think its ok to use the GUI. Back in the 80s when everything was non graphical. BBS’s and the like. I was stuck with Norton Commander as my display of choice, but now WOW what a difference it makes. So let people use GUIs. Just wanted to know why there was a lagging issue.

Sry to rant but linux people can be so up tight about using a GUI system. I have been using Unix and Linux now for awhile. I do have a working Knowledge of linux in general. I do not do any programming or building software. So if you put out a Distro then I use it. Im not stripping it down to see how it works, I just expect it to do it job.

As I stated sry to rant…

The point is you should not do sudo nemo which is what it sounded like you were doing.
As demonstrated by statements like “open as root from desktop”.
If timeshift GUI prompts you for privilege escalation thats different.

Well enough of the GUI police. Like it’s a crime to right click desktop and hit the Open as Root. If they did not want it there, then they should remove it. I use it to copy a needed file to other locations requiring elevated privileges. In other words, I’m root logged in as a user and coping a file I need in root. So, lets get to issue. When I click on anything requiring elevated access. It lags. Now, back to the beginning. Is there a way to find root cause of issue. Maybe a log file, or a configuration file that needs to be activated to see a log file. Like stated before, I use a computer, not build them or strip them down. The only thing I strip down is an M16A2 Service Rifle. Semper Fi.

All running in navy equipment huh? Well, just to put a finer point on it:

As put by Emmanuele Bassi, a GNOME developer: "there are no real, substantiated, technological reasons why anybody should run a GUI application as root. By running GUI applications as an admin user you are literally running millions of lines of code that have not been audited properly to run under elevated privileges; you are also running code that will touch files inside your $HOME and may change their ownership on the file system; connect, via IPC, to even more running code, etc. You are opening up a massive, gaping security hole

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Running_GUI_applications_as_root

As to your question … I guess you could check

journalctl

Running manjaro-cinnamon myself and it came with a separate root file browser application pre installed (think it’s only a modded nemo) but I have zero issues using that rather than sudo nemo

No lag when running any other applications as root but then again it’s not often I need to