Hey Everyone, I’m running into an issue that’s driving me nuts, and hoping someone can help: I just downloaded the Plasma Desktop ISO and flashed it to a Live USB, then installed Manjaro on my SSD, and as soon as I log in for the first time, the
kwin_wayland process starts using 90+% of my CPU indefinitely, which makes everything else unbearably slow - just moving the mouse or hitting a single key takes 2-4 seconds to register on screen.
Things I’ve tried, and their results:
- Killing the
kwin_waylandprocess - it just restarts and consumes most of the CPU resources again
- Letting the system (slowly…) update everything so the whole system is up to date according to Pamac - no noticeable change even after a reboot
- Downgrading kwin to the version (18.104.22.168-1) that was running just fine on the Live USB I had just installed from - no noticeable change
- Installing free and nonfree graphics drivers (Nvidia card) - free was already installed, and nonfree didn’t have any noticeable affect
- Wiping the drive and re-installing everything again (more than once now) - same result
- Switching from the 6.1LTS to the 5.15LTS kernel - no noticeable affect
Is there anything else I can try to fix this?
[Edit to add
System: Host: [Hostname] Kernel: 6.1.30-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.27.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux Machine: Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: All Series v: N/A serial: <superuser required> Mobo: ASUSTeK model: Z97-AR v: Rev 1.xx serial: <superuser required> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 3503 date: 04/18/2018 CPU: Info: quad core model: Intel Core i7-4790K bits: 64 type: MT MCP cache: L2: 1024 KiB Speed (MHz): avg: 3998 min/max: 800/4400 cores: 1: 3998 2: 3998 3: 3998 4: 3998 5: 3998 6: 3998 7: 3998 8: 3998 Graphics: Device-1: NVIDIA GA106 [GeForce RTX 3060 Lite Hash Rate] driver: nouveau v: kernel Display: wayland server: X.org v: 22.214.171.124 with: Xwayland v: 23.1.1 compositor: kwin_wayland driver: X: loaded: modesetting gpu: nouveau resolution: 1920x1080 API: OpenGL v: 4.5 Mesa 23.0.3 renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 15.0.7 256 bits) Audio: Device-1: Intel 9 Series Family HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel Device-2: NVIDIA GA106 High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel API: ALSA v: k6.1.30-1-MANJARO status: kernel-api Server-1: PulseAudio v: 16.1 status: active Network: Device-1: Intel Ethernet I218-V driver: e1000e IF: eno1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: [address] Drives: ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: MSI model: M470 1TB size: 931.51 GiB Partition: ID-1: / size: 906.86 GiB used: 7.5 GiB (0.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-0 ID-2: /boot/efi size: 299.4 MiB used: 452 KiB (0.1%) fs: vfat dev: /dev/nvme0n1p1 Swap: ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 8.8 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) dev: /dev/dm-1 Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 52.0 C mobo: N/A Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A Info: Processes: 226 Uptime: 1m Memory: available: 31.29 GiB used: 1.29 GiB (4.1%) Shell: Zsh inxi: 3.3.27