Krusader in Manjaro Gnome views image files as text instead as images

I use Manjaro Gnome and have a problem with Krusader. Whenever I try to quickly preview an image file (png or jpg) by F3 or F4 key, Krusader displays it as a text file instead of as the image.

Note, I’m looking for a solution how to quickly preview an image using the Krusader viewer, not to open it by another program.

I already tried to install the kio-extras package, but it didn’t help.

This is what Krusader dumps in terminal when starting it and trying to view an image file (F3).

~ >>> krusader --debug                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                
QCoreApplication::applicationDirPath: Please instantiate the QApplication object first
17:19:56.972-debug default unknown@0 # System icon theme: "Papirus"
17:19:57.040-debug default KIconTheme::KIconTheme@305 # Icon theme "breeze" not found.
17:19:57.051-debug default unknown@0 # Bookmark search: reset
17:19:57.052-warning default unknown@0 # QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
17:19:57.053-warning default unknown@0 # QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
17:19:57.063-warning kf.i18n KLocalizedStringPrivate::toString@502 # Trying to convert empty KLocalizedString to QString.
17:19:57.115-debug default unknown@0 # URL= "file:///home/midvok" ; name to current= ""
17:19:57.115-debug default unknown@0 # URL= "file:///home/midvok" ; name to current= ""
17:19:57.582-debug default unknown@0 # from current dir= "" ; to= "file:///home/midvok"
17:19:57.582-debug default unknown@0 # refresh internal to URL= "file:///home/midvok"
17:19:57.582-debug default unknown@0 # start local refresh to URL= "file:///home/midvok"
17:19:57.725-debug default unknown@0 # from current dir= "" ; to= "file:///home/midvok/Pictures/Wallpapers"
17:19:57.725-debug default unknown@0 # refresh internal to URL= "file:///home/midvok/Pictures/Wallpapers"
17:19:57.725-debug default unknown@0 # start local refresh to URL= "file:///home/midvok/Pictures/Wallpapers"
17:19:57.881-warning default unknown@0 # Unable to find icon "file-broken" of size QSize(22, 22) in any configured theme
17:20:32.139-warning default unknown@0 # QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action
17:20:32.139-warning default unknown@0 # QWidget::insertAction: Attempt to insert null action

Looks like you have to configure the viewer:

https://docs.kde.org/stable5/en/extragear-utils/krusader/krviewer.html#kredit

@NGr I already set the viewer mode to Generic, which according the documentation, should display images as images. I can’t find anything else to configure.

On their website it says:

This is called the ‘Generic viewer’, for which you need to configure the MIME types.

So maybe look at configuring the MIME types.

Problem is, it doesn’t say where to configure them – in Krusader Settings, I can’t find anything – and if they meant to configure some system file, I found I have a file ~/.config/mimeapps.lits which already contains items like

image/png=org.gnome.gThumb.desktop;xnviewmp.desktop;
image/jpeg=org.gnome.gThumb.desktop;xnviewmp.desktop;

Probably Krusader just doesn’t work so seamlessly with Gnome – I tried Live USB with Manajro KDE and the Krusader’s image viewer works there as expected.

It’s probably not worth the trouble, the gThumb seems to start fast enough and looks very nice. I was just used to pressing F3 when quickly viewing images.

@midvok You just need to install “kdegraphics” package and then all will be fine!