Keyboard Mapping Not Sticking - Super + E Opens VSCodium

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been battling this issue for a few months now. When I hit super + e, I had it previously mapped to open the ‘Files’ (File Manager Utility) in Gnome. However, for some reason it keeps opening up VSCodium now.

I found a bug report that talks about this and how to fix it so it opens the Files utility correctly:

However, when I perform the fix (changing the order inside the mimeinfo.cache config) it is only temporary. It gets overwritten when I restart / resume back into my system. And I’m left with Super + E opening VSCodium again.

Thank you in advance to everyone for your time and help. Any help would be super appreciated!

Thanks,
Asif

Hi @A4orce84,

What is the location of the mimeinfo.cache file you edited?

Because I think it shouldn’t be set in that file, but rather in ~/.config/mimeapps.list. Possibly under the [Default Applications] section. Although, I’m obviously not sure. I think the mimeinfo.cache file gets regenerated every time on boot, hence your changes not persissting.

1 Like

I was modifying this one:

/usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache

Will look at the other location you posted and give it a shot. Thanks!

Update:
There was no ‘inode/directory’ line in the mimeapps.list config. I was looking for this line specifically from my mimeinfo.cache looked like the following:

inode/directory=codium.desktop;org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop;ranger.desktop;
1 Like

@A4orce84 Try using this command according to a similar post:

xdg-mime default org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop inode/directory application/x-gnome-saved-search
1 Like

Else, try adding it manually under the [Default Applications] section:

• Open the file:
nano ~/.config/mimeapp.list
  • Scroll down and insert as last line in the [Default Applications] section:
inode/directory=org.gnome.Nautilus.desktop;ranger.desktop;
  • Ctrl+OYes, Ctrl+X to save and exit.

• Reboot and see what happens.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

@Mirdarthos This worked for me many thanks

1 Like