Kernel panic while updating, then the kernel won't load anymore

I’m writting from Live USB… I was having a bad time updating, there was this big ~450 updates update… I had PGP signature issues. This time btw I was doing it after a clean reboot, in a TTY.

But while I was trying (for the n-th time) to run pacman -Syyu after:

sudo pacman-mirrors
sudo pacman-key --populate archlinux manjaro
pacman-key --refresh-keys

… well the packages seemed to be uploading peacefully, but suddenly kernel panic! And when I rebooted, after a few seconds I got a message about no kernel being found. From there I was redirected to GRUB, but all (normal, advanced and recovery) options resulted in the exact same result.

So, I booted from a Live Manjaro ISO, and ran:

sudo su
mount /dev/vnme0n1p2 /mnt
mount -t proc proc /mnt/proc
mount -t sysfs sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
mount -t devpts pts /mnt/dev/pts

manjaro-chroot /mnt

The first thing I noticed was the ZSH sent a warning at every command I launched:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/librl_custom_isearch.so' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/librl_custom_isearch.so' from /etc/ld.so.preload cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

… but I guessed that it was harmless (though inconvenient).
I could rebuild successfully the kernel with mkinitcpio using the kernel in my modules folder.

But the final problem is: I want (because I read I sould) to run:

pacman -Syu linux

… but I can’t because pacman sees no server whatsoever. I’m online, I can ping 1.1.1.1 from inside the chrooted environment. I’ve tried various mirrors by genrating local, default etc… mirror lists, I checked at least some were unquoted in /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist, but no, pacman seems to be completely blind. The exact output is below:

> pacman -Syu linux                                                                               root@manjaro
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core.db failed to download
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.yandex.ru : Could not resolve host: mirror.yandex.ru
warning: too many errors from mirror.yandex.ru, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from irltoolkit.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: irltoolkit.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from irltoolkit.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ask4.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: ask4.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from ask4.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.snt.utwente.nl : Could not resolve host: ftp.snt.utwente.nl
warning: too many errors from ftp.snt.utwente.nl, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.alwyzon.net : Could not resolve host: mirror.alwyzon.net
warning: too many errors from mirror.alwyzon.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from southfront.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: southfront.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from southfront.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from linorg.usp.br : Could not resolve host: linorg.usp.br
warning: too many errors from linorg.usp.br, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from repo.ialab.dsu.edu : Could not resolve host: repo.ialab.dsu.edu
warning: too many errors from repo.ialab.dsu.edu, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.xeonbd.com : Could not resolve host: mirror.xeonbd.com
warning: too many errors from mirror.xeonbd.com, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.terrahost.no : Could not resolve host: mirror.terrahost.no
warning: too many errors from mirror.terrahost.no, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu : Could not resolve host: mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu
warning: too many errors from mirrors.ocf.berkeley.edu, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.cc.uoc.gr : Could not resolve host: ftp.cc.uoc.gr
warning: too many errors from ftp.cc.uoc.gr, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from nnenix.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: nnenix.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from nnenix.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn : Could not resolve host: mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn
warning: too many errors from mirrors.sjtug.sjtu.edu.cn, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors2.manjaro.org : Could not resolve host: mirrors2.manjaro.org
warning: too many errors from mirrors2.manjaro.org, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca : Could not resolve host: mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca
warning: too many errors from mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id : Could not resolve host: kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id
warning: too many errors from kartolo.sby.datautama.net.id, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjarolinux-mirror.cloud.mu : Could not resolve host: manjarolinux-mirror.cloud.mu
warning: too many errors from manjarolinux-mirror.cloud.mu, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.gigenet.com : Could not resolve host: mirrors.gigenet.com
warning: too many errors from mirrors.gigenet.com, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.it4i.cz : Could not resolve host: mirror.it4i.cz
warning: too many errors from mirror.it4i.cz, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.rz.tu-bs.de : Could not resolve host: ftp.rz.tu-bs.de
warning: too many errors from ftp.rz.tu-bs.de, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.mirror.wearetriple.com : Could not resolve host: manjaro.mirror.wearetriple.com
warning: too many errors from manjaro.mirror.wearetriple.com, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.grena.ge : Could not resolve host: manjaro.grena.ge
warning: too many errors from manjaro.grena.ge, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from codingflyboy.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: codingflyboy.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from codingflyboy.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.nluug.nl : Could not resolve host: ftp.nluug.nl
warning: too many errors from ftp.nluug.nl, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.uni-kl.de : Could not resolve host: ftp.uni-kl.de
warning: too many errors from ftp.uni-kl.de, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.koddos.net : Could not resolve host: mirror.koddos.net
warning: too many errors from mirror.koddos.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.ft.uam.es : Could not resolve host: mirrors.ft.uam.es
warning: too many errors from mirrors.ft.uam.es, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.ustc.edu.cn : Could not resolve host: mirrors.ustc.edu.cn
warning: too many errors from mirrors.ustc.edu.cn, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.ibakerserver.pt : Could not resolve host: mirror.ibakerserver.pt
warning: too many errors from mirror.ibakerserver.pt, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.truenetwork.ru : Could not resolve host: mirror.truenetwork.ru
warning: too many errors from mirror.truenetwork.ru, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn : Could not resolve host: mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn
warning: too many errors from mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.easyname.at : Could not resolve host: mirror.easyname.at
warning: too many errors from mirror.easyname.at, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.init7.net : Could not resolve host: mirror.init7.net
warning: too many errors from mirror.init7.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.sonic.net : Could not resolve host: mirrors.sonic.net
warning: too many errors from mirrors.sonic.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.repo.cure.edu.uy : Could not resolve host: manjaro.repo.cure.edu.uy
warning: too many errors from manjaro.repo.cure.edu.uy, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from repos.silknet.com : Could not resolve host: repos.silknet.com
warning: too many errors from repos.silknet.com, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from coresite.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: coresite.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from coresite.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.kurdy.org : Could not resolve host: manjaro.kurdy.org
warning: too many errors from manjaro.kurdy.org, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.jlu.edu.cn : Could not resolve host: mirrors.jlu.edu.cn
warning: too many errors from mirrors.jlu.edu.cn, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.xtom.jp : Could not resolve host: mirrors.xtom.jp
warning: too many errors from mirrors.xtom.jp, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.ufro.cl : Could not resolve host: mirror.ufro.cl
warning: too many errors from mirror.ufro.cl, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.xenyth.net : Could not resolve host: mirror.xenyth.net
warning: too many errors from mirror.xenyth.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.lysator.liu.se : Could not resolve host: ftp.lysator.liu.se
warning: too many errors from ftp.lysator.liu.se, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: mirror.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from mirror.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.nic.cz : Could not resolve host: mirrors.nic.cz
warning: too many errors from mirrors.nic.cz, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from volico.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: volico.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from volico.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.ipacct.com : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ipacct.com
warning: too many errors from manjaro.ipacct.com, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.mirror.garr.it : Could not resolve host: manjaro.mirror.garr.it
warning: too many errors from manjaro.mirror.garr.it, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.funami.tech : Could not resolve host: mirror.funami.tech
warning: too many errors from mirror.funami.tech, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftpmirror1.infania.net : Could not resolve host: ftpmirror1.infania.net
warning: too many errors from ftpmirror1.infania.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.dkm.cz : Could not resolve host: mirror.dkm.cz
warning: too many errors from mirror.dkm.cz, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.ynh.ovh : Could not resolve host: manjaro.ynh.ovh
warning: too many errors from manjaro.ynh.ovh, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.datacenter.by : Could not resolve host: mirror.datacenter.by
warning: too many errors from mirror.datacenter.by, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.vinehost.net : Could not resolve host: mirror.vinehost.net
warning: too many errors from mirror.vinehost.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from quantum-mirror.hu : Could not resolve host: quantum-mirror.hu
warning: too many errors from quantum-mirror.hu, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.tsukuba.wide.ad.jp : Could not resolve host: ftp.tsukuba.wide.ad.jp
warning: too many errors from ftp.tsukuba.wide.ad.jp, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.c3sl.ufpr.br : Could not resolve host: manjaro.c3sl.ufpr.br
warning: too many errors from manjaro.c3sl.ufpr.br, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.telepoint.bg : Could not resolve host: mirror.telepoint.bg
warning: too many errors from mirror.telepoint.bg, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.mirror.liquidtelecom.com : Could not resolve host: manjaro.mirror.liquidtelecom.com
warning: too many errors from manjaro.mirror.liquidtelecom.com, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.gwdg.de : Could not resolve host: ftp.gwdg.de
warning: too many errors from ftp.gwdg.de, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.erickochen.nl : Could not resolve host: mirror.erickochen.nl
warning: too many errors from mirror.erickochen.nl, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.netix.net : Could not resolve host: mirrors.netix.net
warning: too many errors from mirrors.netix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.kku.ac.th : Could not resolve host: mirror.kku.ac.th
warning: too many errors from mirror.kku.ac.th, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ridgewireless.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: ridgewireless.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from ridgewireless.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from forksystems.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: forksystems.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from forksystems.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.23m.com : Could not resolve host: mirror.23m.com
warning: too many errors from mirror.23m.com, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.manjaro.org : Could not resolve host: mirrors.manjaro.org
warning: too many errors from mirrors.manjaro.org, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ba.mirror.garr.it : Could not resolve host: ba.mirror.garr.it
warning: too many errors from ba.mirror.garr.it, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.is.co.za : Could not resolve host: mirror.is.co.za
warning: too many errors from mirror.is.co.za, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from uvermont.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: uvermont.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from uvermont.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.free.org : Could not resolve host: ftp.free.org
warning: too many errors from ftp.free.org, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from fosszone.csd.auth.gr : Could not resolve host: fosszone.csd.auth.gr
warning: too many errors from fosszone.csd.auth.gr, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from opencolo.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: opencolo.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from opencolo.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ct.mirror.garr.it : Could not resolve host: ct.mirror.garr.it
warning: too many errors from ct.mirror.garr.it, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mnvoip.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: mnvoip.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from mnvoip.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from muug.ca : Could not resolve host: muug.ca
warning: too many errors from muug.ca, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.archlinux.tw : Could not resolve host: mirror.archlinux.tw
warning: too many errors from mirror.archlinux.tw, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.netcologne.de : Could not resolve host: mirror.netcologne.de
warning: too many errors from mirror.netcologne.de, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.psnc.pl : Could not resolve host: ftp.psnc.pl
warning: too many errors from ftp.psnc.pl, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from gsl-syd.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: gsl-syd.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from gsl-syd.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.up.pt : Could not resolve host: mirrors.up.pt
warning: too many errors from mirrors.up.pt, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.albony.xyz : Could not resolve host: mirror.albony.xyz
warning: too many errors from mirror.albony.xyz, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.xtom.de : Could not resolve host: mirrors.xtom.de
warning: too many errors from mirrors.xtom.de, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.futureweb.be : Could not resolve host: mirror.futureweb.be
warning: too many errors from mirror.futureweb.be, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.mirrors.lavatech.top : Could not resolve host: manjaro.mirrors.lavatech.top
warning: too many errors from manjaro.mirrors.lavatech.top, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.bouwhuis.network : Could not resolve host: mirror.bouwhuis.network
warning: too many errors from mirror.bouwhuis.network, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.nyist.edu.cn : Could not resolve host: mirror.nyist.edu.cn
warning: too many errors from mirror.nyist.edu.cn, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.alpix.eu : Could not resolve host: mirror.alpix.eu
warning: too many errors from mirror.alpix.eu, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de : Could not resolve host: ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de
warning: too many errors from ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.cicku.me : Could not resolve host: mirrors.cicku.me
warning: too many errors from mirrors.cicku.me, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ohioix.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: ohioix.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from ohioix.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.aarnet.edu.au : Could not resolve host: mirror.aarnet.edu.au
warning: too many errors from mirror.aarnet.edu.au, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.math.princeton.edu : Could not resolve host: mirror.math.princeton.edu
warning: too many errors from mirror.math.princeton.edu, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from nocix.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: nocix.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from nocix.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from edgeuno-bog2.mm.fcix.net : Could not resolve host: edgeuno-bog2.mm.fcix.net
warning: too many errors from edgeuno-bog2.mm.fcix.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.tu-chemnitz.de : Could not resolve host: ftp.tu-chemnitz.de
warning: too many errors from ftp.tu-chemnitz.de, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.2degrees.nz : Could not resolve host: mirror.2degrees.nz
warning: too many errors from mirror.2degrees.nz, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from www.mirrorservice.org : Could not resolve host: www.mirrorservice.org
warning: too many errors from www.mirrorservice.org, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.linux.org.tr : Could not resolve host: ftp.linux.org.tr
warning: too many errors from ftp.linux.org.tr, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror1.sox.rs : Could not resolve host: mirror1.sox.rs
warning: too many errors from mirror1.sox.rs, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.kamtv.ru : Could not resolve host: mirror.kamtv.ru
warning: too many errors from mirror.kamtv.ru, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ftp.caliu.cat : Could not resolve host: ftp.caliu.cat
warning: too many errors from ftp.caliu.cat, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.atlas.net.co : Could not resolve host: mirrors.atlas.net.co
warning: too many errors from mirrors.atlas.net.co, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.xtom.ee : Could not resolve host: mirrors.xtom.ee
warning: too many errors from mirrors.xtom.ee, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.dotsrc.org : Could not resolve host: mirrors.dotsrc.org
warning: too many errors from mirrors.dotsrc.org, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from ossmirror.mycloud.services : Could not resolve host: ossmirror.mycloud.services
warning: too many errors from ossmirror.mycloud.services, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.zetup.net : Could not resolve host: mirror.zetup.net
warning: too many errors from mirror.zetup.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from manjaro.mirrors.uk2.net : Could not resolve host: manjaro.mirrors.uk2.net
warning: too many errors from manjaro.mirrors.uk2.net, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirrors.ucr.ac.cr : Could not resolve host: mirrors.ucr.ac.cr
warning: too many errors from mirrors.ucr.ac.cr, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from fastmirror.pp.ua : Could not resolve host: fastmirror.pp.ua
warning: too many errors from fastmirror.pp.ua, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.ufam.edu.br : Could not resolve host: mirror.ufam.edu.br
warning: too many errors from mirror.ufam.edu.br, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed retrieving file 'core.db' from mirror.phoepsilonix.love : Could not resolve host: mirror.phoepsilonix.love
warning: too many errors from mirror.phoepsilonix.love, skipping for the remainder of this transaction
error: failed to synchronize all databases (invalid url for server)

and this output comes out almost instanteneously: it’s not likely to be a network speed issue, I think.

Please help! I hope this all makes sense to someone.

Your chroot procedure is … unusual and may not have been successful or fully functional.
You tried the manual approach, but then used the tool that is supposed to automate the process.

that is the preparation for a “manual” chroot
(I hope you where not missing to mount the EFI partition - if your system has one)
after all the above, only this was needed:
chroot /mnt /bin/bash

(not manjaro-chroot)

manjaro-chroot is the tool that automates the whole process

don’t mount anything
and use
manjaro-chroot -a
instead
(it automates the process - or tries to)

It’ll probably fail - with device names like this.
It also fails for the /dev/vda devices in a virtual machine - it just can’t deal with it

Assemble your file system structure - mount / and /boot/efi or whatever layout you have to /mnt in the correct place
and then use
manjaro-chroot /mnt /bin/bash

1 Like

Thanks. Here’s what happens:

sudo su
mkdir /rescue
mount /dev/nvme0n1p2 /rescue
mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /rescue/boot/efi
manjaro-chroot /rescue /bin/bash
# and that last command yields:
chroot: failed to run command '/bin/bash': Input/output error

I also tried /bin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, and /bin/zsh… same output

EDIT: I could chroot by

mount -o bind /usr /rescue/usr # and same with /lib and /lib64

… and now I can run pacman -Syyu. But should I? There are a lot of packages that want to update… It feels just like Plasma 6 update earlier this month! So should I?

No, probably not.
because
you just mounted the host systems /usr and /lib and /lib64 over the one in your system

If you booted a live system, then this is read only anyway and nothing could be actually changed.

This looks like there is quite some important stuff missing - namely all the shells.

Have you confirmed, by looking inside /rescue ,
before chroot
that this is indeed your root file system?

Yes I have, I can’t mistake my own stuff in /home (I mean, in /rescue/home, of course).

Then try the manual method - like in your first example,
just with simply chroot instead of manjaro-chroot

You could, of course, while you are looking/confirming, look whether /bin/bash … is actually there.
It seems it isn’t.

for reference just in case:

chroot - ArchWiki

Well it is there, right in its place…

ls /rescue/bin |grep bash
bash
bashbug
bash-language-server
rbash

(here I didn’t do the mout -o bind /usr etc)

But neither does manjaro-chroot nor chroot work:

manjaro-chroot -a
==> Mounting (ManjaroLinux) [/dev/nvme0n1p2]
 --> mount: [/mnt]
 --> mount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
chroot: failed to run command '/bin/bash': Input/output error
 --> umount: [/mnt/boot/efi]
 --> umount: [/mnt]
chroot /rescue /bin/bash
chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: Input/output error

chroot /rescue
chroot: failed to run command ‘/bin/bash’: Input/output error

I don’t know why… I’m on an even older ISO than at the start of this post, and I’m pretty sure it is quite valid and nothing misses…

chroot fails because there is no working shell in your damaged system
not because the tool is too old

That’s why I said: look whether the files are even there.

You could possibly get away with copying over the needed files (/bin/bash)

There is also the possibility to do it (mostly) without chroot by telling pacman where it should assume the system root
But I have no experience with that - just saw it done, here in the forum even.

Well, they’re there already…

I think I only need to fix that kernel thing, so I can boot Manjaro again… Isn’t there a way to take care of this, once in chroot mode (since I can achieve by my mount -o bind method)? Like, a few commands to run…?

Well the shell is obviously not functional - /bin/bash is not the only component of it, some other file, perhaps even glibc might be missing or damaged.

in /var/cache/pacman/pkg usually is at least one previous version
you could extract it “by hand” and place the files where they belong

If you (bind) mount, you put one file system over another - thus the underlying system, the one you want to change, is not accessible.
That is my understanding of how mounting works.

Well I don’t understand what you say I should do… I think I lack the technical skill to

I’m considering launching:

pacman -Sy linux

Here I have only bound /usr. I ran:

mkinitcpio -c /etc/mkinitcpio.conf -g /boot/initramfs-linux.img -k 6.6.7-1-MANJAR

… successfully. The command above is the last step in advice I found (and lost by now) online. Could this command restore the minimum I need to boot?

For info:

pacman -Sy linux
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 multilib is up to date
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) linux66-6.6.32-1

Total Installed Size:  134.87 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       -0.24 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] n

No.

This cannot work because it would (if the name was correct, which it isn’t) install a kernel into the live system.

standby one - I’ll try to explain better and find the pacman command to use without chroot

I’ll be reading man pacman among other things - you could too :wink:

I did not find the thread that I thought I saw this in.
And I never tried this myself since I never was in a situation where this would have been needed.
In any case, it would have been something like the following:

sudo pacman -Syu --sysroot /mnt
or to try to restore the bash shell:
sudo pacman -S bash --sysroot /mnt
or the kernel:
sudo pacman -S linux --sysroot /mnt

As for the extracting “by hand” thing:

you’ll have to try and see for yourself what it looks like when you go to /var/cache/pacman/pkg and open one of the package files
The archive contains a file system structure which tells you what goes where.
It is a very simple copy operation after having the archive open.

At least with the file manager that I use. mc (midnight commander).
run mc in a terminal and see - you have to install it first
It may look ancient but it is, especially for this task, far superior to any GUI like thunar or nemo or dolphin.

How to do that with the tools you “know” would take writing a whole essay - try and look and see.

Same goes for the kernel.

you can get it from /var/cache/pacman/pkg
but then you need to create the initrd - the command has options to tell it which config file to use and so on

Or you just copy the kernel and initrd from the iso, from the system that is running right now?

Grub is still there - it has got a command line interface.

A kernel panic during update is a strange thing to happen.
Make sure you do have enough RAM and back it by enough swap.

Check the health of your drive (smartctl).

2 Likes

So, everyone, I gave up. I invested way too much energy on working with KDE, and in the end I think it was starting to interfere with my mental health…

I’m just starting over, rewriting my disk with a fresh Manjaro install, with Gnome.

I’m very sorry for any future person who would stumble on this thread because they have a similar problem…

I hope Gnome will be kinder on my nerves than KDE. I will miss the freedom and customizability for sure, but I’m pretty sure this choice will save me some sweat and a lot of time.

Deep thanks for everyone who helped on this thread.

I doubt your missing kernel has anything to do with kde.

Nor your interrupted upgrade and failure to recover.

Given some of the anecdotal details here it would appear your system suffered from being broken in the first place (out-of-date, signature problems, who knows what else).

I expect if you treat your Gnome the same way you will end up having a similar outcome.

But go on I guess.

2 Likes

Go for Xfce4 instead.

Gnome will be an even more frustrating experience than Plasma was, during it’s transition between version 5 to 6

If simplicity and functionality is your goal - Gnome seems to be the solution.
Until you want to customize it …

But everybody needs to have his/her own learning experience, I guess …

Cheers!

Well, that’s the point: I get out of control when I have too much of customizing power… I’m trying Gnome again to force myself to take a break from this.

Yes, I agree. As far as what you say is concerned, I think what’s relevant is that I reinstalled Manjaro from scratch, and (at least on the short term) that will give me a break from the gazillion bugs I was experiencing.