Kernel not found after reboot

Hey everyone,

I was just using my Razer Blade 14 running the latest Manjaro with an i3 Desktop environment. I noticed my machine being less responsive, even when opening “trivial” applications eg Thunar File manager. Decided to do a reboot via running “reboot” in a terminal and my machine suddenly greets me with the following error message:

error: file `/boot/vmlinuz-5.15-x86_64’ not found.
error: you need to load the kernel first.

Anyone have an idea what might have happened?

Any help is much appreciated as this machines ssd contains all my university projects.

Thanks so much in advance!

Seems an upgrade was interrupted or did not finish properly … or … something

You will likely need to use manjaro-chroot … once interacting with the installed system you should be able to do

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux515

and/or

sudo pacman -Syu linux515
3 Likes

Thank you for the quick and detailed instructions. Through a bootable USB and manjaro-chroot -a I am now able to interact with my old installation. However, when running

sudo mhwd-kernel -i linux515

or

sudo pacman -Syu linux515

I get

error: failed to synchronize all databases (unable to lock database)

Any idea how to fix that?

Cheers

In manjaro-chroot environment try

rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lck
pamac upgrade --enable-downgrade --force-refresh
pacman -Syyu linux515
1 Like

Thank you @cscs and @Wollie! That did the trick. Just successfully logged into my old installation.

Sidenote for novices like myself: after you have booted from your live USB, make sure to establish an internet connection first. Otherwise pacman will not be able to connect to the relevant hosts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.