Kernel 66 won't start

I installed the supported kernel 66, but it won’t start. What can I do?
When I press the esc key, only 65 is displayed in Grub. I use the Cinnamon-desktop.

mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 6.5.3-1-MANJARO (linux65)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux65
   * linux66
uname -a
Linux X1-Carbon 6.5.3-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed Sep 13 12:21:35 UTC 2023 x86_64 GNU/Linux
uname -r
6.5.3-1-MANJARO

Check if the package update-grub is installed. If not install it and call sudo grub-update to update your grub menu.

The update-grub script should be unnecessary.

I will also include rebuilding initram for all kernels first for just in cases.

sudo mkinitcpio -P
sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
1 Like

Thank you so much for your help! It worked! :+1:

mhwd-kernel -li
Currently running: 6.6.19-1-MANJARO (linux66)
The following kernels are installed in your system:
   * linux65
   * linux66

One more question: I just reinstalled Manjaro Cinnamon via ISO yesterday. Do I have to check the kernel every time I reinstall it to make sure it is not out of date and update the system? I thought Manjaro would do that on his own?

it should all happen automatically. Only thing you need to worry about is when a kernel becomes EOL to switch to another one and remove the EOL one.

1 Like

Ok, thank you very much!

Manjaro Cinnamon latest ISO 20.0.1 was released September 2023 and includes kernel v6.5, that is no longer supported

Manjaro does not automatically update kernel to next major version (6.5 to 6.6)
but package manger will update kernel 6.6.19 to 6.6.20 (or 6.6.21 if Manjaro Team skips a version for stable branch) when it is available

A new Cinnamon ISO with kernel v6.6 should be released soon

1 Like

OK! thank you very much! :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.