Kernel 6.4.2-3 - Keyboard not working

Hello!

I use Manjaro since about a year and always used the latest kernel as i’m using Manjaro with a relatively new notebook with new hardware. At the time i installed Manjaro many things were not supported with the LTS Kernel and that’s why i chose to use the newest latest Kernel. Since then i have always switched to the newest latest version as soon as there is a new release.

This worked fine until now. I never had any problems and now with the upgrade to Kernel 6.4.x my first real issue has arrived. After installing and upgrading every package with pacman and pamac i have installed the 6.4.x Kernel with the Kernel selection GUI from Manjaro. After rebooting i am not able to use my keyboard from my laptop at all. As soon as Manjaro is booted the keyboard is not working. I can’t login to investigate as there is no option to get a visual keyboard to use with the mouse at this step.

When i start Manjaro with the previous Kernel (6.3.12-1) everything works as expected and i can use my keyboard again. For now i work with this Kernel but i would like to upgrade to the latest one because in my experience everything gets more stable with newer kernels.

My question now is:
Can you help me with hints on how to get on track to find the root which causes the keyboard not to work with the newest Kernel? I am a bit lost and don’t know where to start or where to look.

I would appreciate every help you can provide!

I don’t know if this helps but here are some information to my system:
Laptop: Yoga Slim 7 ProX | Lenovo

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.27.6
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.107.0
Qt Version: 5.15.10
Kernel Version: 6.3.12-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 16 × AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS Creator Edition
Memory: 27.1 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: AMD Radeon Graphics
Manufacturer: LENOVO
Product Name: 82TL
System Version: Yoga Slim 7 ProX 14ARH7

There is also a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU inside which i turn off and on per use case with Optimus Manager QT

Hi there. Personally I would question your assumption that things get more stable with a newer kernel. 6.4 is relatively bleeding edge. Unless your hardware absolutely requires it, I would stick with 6.1. If everything works fine with this kernel, then that’s what you should use.

You can either spend the time trying to make 6.4 work - what’s the benefit? Certainly not stability - or else do what the vast majority of users do & use an LTS kernel. This is the recommendation of the Manjaro Team, as you will see in the Manjaro Settings Manager.

I would advise you to do this. Either way, I hope you are sorted soon.

1 Like

Mostly the older kernels are more stable than the newer which often provide on the other side direct support for newer hardware. There is plenty of information available in the www about the differences between the kernel versions.

The root cause for your issue with kernel 6.4 may be a general problem with the AMD zen platform. Such an issue was patched in kernels 5.2 and later. Kernel 6.4 maybe had to drop the patch due to other changes. Best you search the kernel bugtracker for the fresh release.

I have the same problem with my Asus Vivobook M3402RA.
For 6.4.0-1-rt6 keyboar working correctly, 6.4.3 - not. It’s a very strange.

Try to downgrade to 6.4.2 or 6.4.1 if it works?

I doubt some Asus patch would cause this issue:

Working only 6.4.0. Kernel 6.5 have the same problem.

Keyboard work with 6.4.6-rt8-3, but isn’t work with 6.4.9-1 && 6.5.0rc5-1.
The issue is actual.

Try to update firmware of the last version.

You are not alone:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=287746

I have a last firmware…