Kernel 5.13.19-2-MANJARO slow boot because of too many loop devices

These 31 -no less!- loop devices add up to a full three minutes to the booting process, according to systemd-analyze. I know neither what causes them nor know what to do. Please help. Neofetch says:

bash 5.1.16
Xfce 4.18
Intel i5-8400
16Gb RAM

What loop devices? What analyse? Please post something showing the actual process or problem.

You probably have snap installed. Make sure that you actually need it and your usage depends on it.

If not, remove it.

“systemd-analize blame”. Regarding the loops, they go from /dev/loop0 to /dev/loop29, according to df -h. Somebody gave me a tip about snapd and he’s right: snap causes that many loops.

Thank you for the tip! You’re right, snap is the culprit but I need it to install packages now and then. Is there a way to put it to sleep while I’m not using it?

Welcome to Manjaro! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1. Please read the information behind this link. It will help you to post necessary information.
  1. Please press the three dots below your post and then press the :pencil2:
  • If you give us information about your system, we can see what we’re talking about and make better suggestions.
  • You can do this by using inxi in a terminal or in console.
sudo inxi --admin --verbosity=7 --filter --no-host --width
  • Personally identifiable information such as serial numbers and MAC addresses are filtered out by this command
  • Presenting the information in this way allows everyone to be familiar with the format and quickly find the items they need without missing anything.
  1. Copy the output from inxi (including the command) and paste it into your post.
  • To make it more readable, add 3 backticks ``` on an extra line before and after the pasted text.

Have you already :mag: for your problem in the forum ? (Wisdom lies in reading :wink: )

I don’t know about that (put it to sleep), but the reality is you should use the least amount of snaps as possible, if any. I mean do you really need 31 snaps?

Kernel 5.13 isn’t supported anymore since 22.09.2021, if you haven’t updated your system since then better backup your data and reinstall.

1 Like

Yes, I know. Too much work have made kernel updating difficult. Any way, I decided to stop using snap since it caused all the loops. Thank you!

Please update your kernel. If you don’t schedule system maintenance, the system will schedule it for you.