Keepass ghost in background & killall

newly installed keepass crashes and just stuck at tray icon like this.
killall & pidof can’t locate keepass.

However ps manage to locate the pid with the command line :
$ ps aux | grep keepass
59588 0.6 0.8 702620 142772 ? Sl 13:16 0:39 mono --verify-all /usr/share/keepass/KeePass.exe
64147 0.0 0.0 6848 2580 pts/2 S+ 14:52 0:00 grep keepass

Q1:
Is there way to use killall to kill keepass in this case (without having to use ps aux to locate pid) , which may speed things up ? If not possible, then i will rest my case.

Issue1:
Keepass having the crash issue that i can always duplicate. (just by middle click on the content of keepass will sufficient to crash into background).
Any solution (i can always don’t middle click on it, but i tend to forget from time to time) ?.

System:
  Kernel: 5.10.89-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.1.0
    parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-5.10-x86_64
    root=UUID=0eef34c8-7ed8-4eb2-bffe-5f7e04864898 rw udev.log_priority=3
  Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.23.4 tk: Qt 5.15.2 wm: kwin_x11 vt: 1 dm: SDDM
    Distro: Manjaro Linux base: Arch Linux

Info:
  Processes: 316 Uptime: 2d 3h 36m wakeups: 9 Init: systemd v: 250
  tool: systemctl Compilers: gcc: 11.1.0 clang: 13.0.0 Packages: pacman: 1256
  lib: 347 Shell: Zsh v: 5.8 default: Bash v: 5.1.12 running-in: konsole
  inxi: 3.3.11

Hi, I can’t comment on your questions but have you tried to use KeepassXC? My understanding is that Keepass is primarily programmed for Windows. KeepassXC would be the program to use in Linux. the DB is interchangeable.

1 Like

Thanks… Noted I will try that…

ps:
However if there is solution to Q1 , i would love to know as well.

I tried Keepass last time under Manjaro 21.1 and it was running normal, no issues. However, I made the transition to use KeepassXC since this program is Linux native and Keepass is not (from my understanding). On a Windows system I still use Keepass. Give KeepassXC a try instead of Keepass. You still can use the previous database as usual. You might have to switch the theme of KeepassXC in order to match the style of Manjaro Breath theme or whatever theme you are using.

What if i don’t care theme, will it causing funny issue ? or crash ? if not i won’t even bother those minor thing. as long as it runs well. i will be happy.

No it will not cause issues with other theme. It’s only look and feel.

For a way how to kill a program: CTRL+ALT+ESC turns your cursor to killx. Point to the open window and it should kill the process. use with caution!

Appar

Apparently Ctrl+alt+esc (killx) does not kill ghosted keepass… it kills the whole bottom tray, launcher and even my desktop …
What is the proper name for the bottom tray in kde ?
The bottom left button where we can click to get all the program reside in it is call launcher menu right ? so that all gone now… pitch back . lol…

how to get them (what is the name of it ? don’t know what to search in duckduck) back ?

As I said, use with caution. It’s for open windows. If you point to the panel it kills the panel. Probably the easiest way to get it back is with ctrl+alt+F2 enter TTY login with your user and type reboot.
Before reboot in TTY you can also try killall plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell
Try it and let me know.
Btw. you exit tty with alt+F1

kstart5 plasmashell i have manage to get back those things… thanks for pointing out.

Can you tell me the name to the bottom bar ? or is it just name bottom bar ?
and the desktop (the one with wall paper and desktop icon ) is same as windows os naming, which is desktop ?
And the bottom left button is call launcher ?
If you know pls let me know too, so next time if got problem i can use proper word… instead of such a long description.

Thx

1 Like

@andrewysk Topic has been solved but here’s another way:

Go to System Settings > Workspace > Shortcuts > Custom Shortcuts > Edit > New > Global Shortcut > Command/URL. There add a personal key binding in Trigger tab and this in the Action tab and Apply:

sh -c $(for i in $(pgrep -f keepass); do kill ${i}; done) 
Killing firefox this way

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

1 Like

I think KDE refers to the bottom bar as panel. You can add as many panels as you want and configure them as you like by adding widgets to the panels. E.g. the standard start menu widget is called “application launcher” while the icons bar is called “icons only task manager”. Desktop should be desktop. Since everything is configurable a default naming may not be suitable. People here in the forum will know what you mean when you use commonly used terms.
You can play around with the panels by entering panel’s edit mode ;).

Not sure why you went a Windows Keepass executable with mono. There is a keepass port in AUR that should work via pamac. On a visual scan, looks like several localized versions are available to choose from.

Also keepassxc as you found too - hopefully you installed that via AUR and pamac. You’ll then get updates when they are available.

Good luck.

I used keepass for many years… since windows7 time…
It is just that i have a habit , when something is good to use, i will keep using the samething… never will i look for another one… Hence i never explore that there is a keepass that is meant for linux.
I have installed keepassxc already… it looks weird but usable. Thx

1 Like

Keepass is a great software. So is Keepassxc. Try changing the theme to “Classic (Platform-native)” and also use “compact mode” in “View” menu and it will look more like keepass.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.