Keep current 3 finger gestures on switching to Gnome 40

I currently use the Extended Gestures extension to allow 3 finger swipe up to toggle overview, 3 finger swipe down to display my applications (App Drawer) and 3 finger left and right swipes to cycle through applications.

It appears that the Extended Gestures extension doesn’t work in Gnome 40. Is there any way to set these gestures again instead of using the default 3 finger gestures in Gnome 40 which switch workspaces when swiping horizontally?

If you’re using X11, check out the X11 Gestures extension. It requires Touchégg available in the AUR (Arch User Repository).

Thank you very much for this. I might check that out if nothing else works. I am running Wayland currently and would prefer to continue to do so if possible.

Those are actually the default gestures with GNOME Shell 40 and Wayland. You’ll either need to wait for it to hit stable or switch to the testing or unstable branch, though.

I am currently running the testing branch on a second laptop so that is how I found out about the changes and wanting to preserve my original setup on my first laptop which is running on the stable branch. I want to be able to still use my original gestures that I set up even after the stable branch hits Gnome 40.

in Gnome 40 a 3 finger swipe switches workspaces but doesn’t cycle through open applications. I only use one workspace and would like to cycle through open applications.

I just discovered that if I install and autostart libinput-gestures then I can use the gestures application to override the built-in Gnome 40 gestures, but I need a command that can be used from the command line on wayland to run for each action. For example I can display the overview by assigning the following command:

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval string:‘Main.overview.show();’

I just don’t know a command that will let me activate the App Drawer or cycle though applications. Do you happen to know how to do that from the command line on Wayland as I heard that xdotool doesn’t work on Wayland? The App Drawer is not as big a deal as a double swipe up with 3 fingers on Gnome 40 will get me there, but cycling through open applications is very helpful to me if you know a command that will do it. I could then assign it in Gestures to the 3 finger swipe left and right as libinput-gestures seems to override Gnome’s built-in gestures.

Just found the command to show the App Drawer:

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval string:'Main.shellDBusService.ShowApplications()'

I assigned it to the 3 finger downward swipe in the Gestures application and it works great.

Now I just need a command to cycle through open applications…

Oops. I realize i just mad an error in my original post. I am looking to use a 3 finger swipe to cycle through applications, not workspaces. I’ll edit my original post.

I found a terminal command that will switch between applications in Gnome and can therefore be used in Gestures under Wayland.

dbus-send --session --type=method_call --dest=org.gnome.Shell /org/gnome/Shell org.gnome.Shell.Eval string:‘Main.wm._switchApp();’

I have found that this will not override the default Gnome gestures but can be triggered by a 3 finger horizontal swipe if there is no other workspace to switch to. So If I limit myself to one workspace this will begin cycling through my applications with each horizontal swipe immediately.