KDE Plasma Fingerprint Login

Hello everyone!

I’ve been working on setting up fingerprint authentication on Manjaro KDE, and I’ve made some progress. However, I’m encountering an issue where fingerprint authentication does not work on the login screen or other areas. I have successfully registered my fingerprint using the following steps:

1. Installed the required packages:
sudo pacman -S fprintd libfprint
  1. Started and enabled the fprintd service:
sudo systemctl start fprintd.service
sudo systemctl enable fprintd.service
  1. Fixed an issue during enablement:
  • Edited the fprintd.service file:
sudo systemctl edit --full --force fprintd.service
  • Added the following lines under the [Install] section:
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target
  • Reloaded the systemd configuration:
sudo systemctl daemon-reload
  1. Verified the status of the fprintd service:
sudo systemctl status fprintd.service
  1. Enrolled my fingerprint:
fprintd-enroll
  • Enabled the fprintd service:
sudo systemctl enable fprintd.service
  1. Edited the /etc/sddm.conf file:
sudo nano /etc/sddm.conf
  • Added the following configuration under the [General] section:
[General]
EnablePAM=true
  1. Edited the /etc/pam.d/sddm file:
sudo nano /etc/pam.d/sddm
  • Added the following line:
auth sufficient pam_fprintd.so

After following these steps, fingerprint authentication worked as expected. However, when I restarted the system, fingerprint authentication still did not function on the login screen. I had to manually log in using another authentication method.

To enhance the functionality and usability of fingerprint authentication on Manjaro KDE, I kindly request the following feature:

Feature Request:

• Enable seamless fingerprint authentication on the login screen.

I greatly appreciate the work of the community in developing and maintaining the fingerprint authentication features. Your efforts have made Manjaro KDE an outstanding distribution. I kindly request assistance from the community to resolve the issue of fingerprint authentication not working on the login screen.

Thank you all for your contributions and support!

The Plasma desktop environment and its components — including sddm — are not developed by Manjaro but by KDE. You can sign up at their forum and file a feature request there… :arrow_down:

Another option would be to sign up at the KDE Bug Tracker and file a feature request there.

1 Like

In other words you want login only with fingerprint? If yes your config for pam sddm isn’t enough. You need add another line as described here

auth 			[success=1 new_authtok_reqd=1 default=ignore]  	pam_unix.so try_first_pass likeauth nullok
auth 			sufficient  	pam_fprintd.so
2 Likes

I will try & Check it Out

It is working on Login Screen but not working after Sleep or Manual Locking it

For that you need add to /etc/pam.d/kde this line:

auth 			sufficient  	pam_fprintd.so
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.