KDE plasma bugs after each update [Stable Update] 2022-09-12

…Very…interesting…indeed :face_with_peeking_eye:

Interesting, something like the kernels, perhaps a KDE and a KDE LTS spin? I would appreciate an LTS spin. I like KDE a lot, but I am real fearful of another KDE 3 to KDE 4 debacle. KDE 4 almost drove me away from using KDE(and is why I keep fluxbox on my systems - just in case the main DE breaks badly, although I haven’t used any of the boxen in a long while - recent comments here have made me check out the Fluxbox installation to make sure it works and to install a KDE-free file manager).

Something like this:

3 Likes

How do we interpretate that? “Things could get messy”? :smirk:

1 Like

As you please, but I think that’s a good interpretation.

1 Like

Hum. Thought so. :grinning: But what will be, will be I suppose…

Not after “every” update for me, but frequently enough where it becomes an issue I’ve noticed this as well.

One thing that really wears me down is having to redo my monitor/display settings. Another unwelcoming surprise was when I lost all my Sticky Notes.[1] :sob:

Updates to the underlying software should be transparent; the user’s configuration and preferences should always remain in tact.

I’m sure I would have bumped into more issues with this latest update from 5.24 → 5.25, but I’m skipping this update for now. :wink: I’ve seen the writing on the walls.

[1] Yes, my notes were deleted. It wasn’t simply a matter of having to “re-display” them. Luckily, I have daily auto backups to a local NAS server and was able to retrieve my notes from a recent backup.

3 Likes

“Why must we, the faithful users of KDE, have to put up with this nonsense?”

Question asked. :sunglasses:

1 Like

“Why must we, the faithful users of KDE, have to put up with this nonsense?”

Answer: destiny…? :laughing:

1 Like

bad Karma?

2 Likes

An if statement gone wrong…

2 Likes

Most likely my overlay for 5.24 LTS was here: Packages / temp / kde-stable · GitLab. I might have to look at my other PC if I actually pushed all local changes I made to that repo. Using buildpkg -l plasma should then build those packages. They might need a PKGREL bump to not conflict with older packages you might had installed before.

However, if you update KDE Frameworks you might run into some issues as we already did with some updates and patches need to been backported. KDE Gear (Apps) might be more independent cases but most likely need latest frameworks when wanted to been updated.

So it is sure to maybe keep 5.24 around longer, but based on the notes KDE developers made their latest 5.26 release might be an LTS release before Plasma 6 comes out, unless there will be a 5.27 and so on …

3 Likes

@philm, thank you for the info(s), I’ll definitely be watching how that all pans out :crossed_fingers:

Well it is easy to track what happens with 5.24 in upstream gitlab. Seems they are busy to add more fixes to that branch. Here an example on the workspace package: Commits · Plasma/5.24 · Plasma / Plasma Workspace · GitLab

Well, it is an LTS release after all. So there is bound to be a 5.24.7 soon, and maybe even a 5.24.8 later.

2 Likes

My 5.24.6 packages can be found for 24 hrs or 100 downloads here: Wormhole - Simple, private file sharing

2 Likes

Could you explain how the manjaro team decide to push the last plasma ‘buggy’ update , just to understand the process ?
is it a way for the manjaro team and users not to fall in this plasma trap ?

thanks

To be fair, there was a faction of users pushing in the other direction, complaining that it was taking Manjaro too long to push KDE 5.25.x into the Stable branch. :person_shrugging:

9 Likes

That is a fair comment, actually :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Didn’t have issues in the past year or so but the last update has been messy.
Loading screen stuck for about 2 minutes on launch, then showing just the wallpaper for a minute or so, wallpapers are also gone for some reason.
Yakuake keyboard shortcut is gone, taskbar icon sizing has been reset. Too much to fix, just have to skip updates for a while.

2 Likes