KDE Plasma 5.26.x Stability Inquiry

I shall do the Stable Update soon (while still using Plasma 5.24.7 LTS). :crossed_fingers:

What I find interesting is that even on Plasma 5.26.4 with Frameworks 5.100.0, there are still longstanding bugs and quirks that havenā€™t been resolved, even though theyā€™re known about. (I have a secondary computer which I am not as tentative about updates.) What this tells me is that weā€™re not expected to see any real progress until the 6.x series.

2 Likes

Keep crossing those fingers thenā€¦

3 Likes

Hold on a second. Did you recently visit the KDE website?

2 Likes

Question: Does KDE know about what we are doing here? Should they be made aware of it? The 5.24.7 LTS Frameworks 100 mix? Seems like it might be in their interest.

1 Like

Interesting linkā€¦ At least theyā€™re being positive about it, rightā€¦? :thinking:

I should imagine they have their ā€œspiesā€ :laughing:(jokeā€¦) and that they might haveā€¦stumbledā€¦upon Manjaro Forum and us at some pointā€¦ So, yep, theyā€™re quite possibly aware of whatā€™s going down. But what are their interests ? Good question. Keep crossing everything! :crossed_fingers:

Staying positive my update went well, i.e stable ā€¦! Nice work fellas! :+1:

1 Like

I think you might have overlooked my ā€œscreenshotā€. :wink:

1 Like

Nope. Not true. I thought it was you being clever and deliberately inserting that ā€œKeep crossing those fingersā€¦ā€ phrase to be honestā€¦ :wink:

1 Like

If you see something, say something.

:rofl:

Sorry, couldnā€™t help itā€¦ Iā€™ll see myself outā€¦

2 Likes

Right! LOL! :grin:

1 Like

Recent update 2 machines running KDE. one with Intel Video, the other with nVidia Video, both no issues. Hereā€™s the DreamBook with Intel.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.100.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 6.0.11-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 4 Ɨ IntelĀ® PentiumĀ® CPU N3540 @ 2.16GHz
Memory: 7.6 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa IntelĀ® HD Graphics
Manufacturer: Notebook
Product Name: W54_W94_W955TU,-T,-C
System Version: Not Applicable

it appears the DELL is ignoring the nVidia grphics, an running the built in Intel Graphics.

Operating System: Manjaro Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.4
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.100.0
Qt Version: 5.15.7
Kernel Version: 5.15.81-1-MANJARO (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 Ɨ IntelĀ® Coreā„¢ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
Memory: 7.7 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa IntelĀ® HD Graphics 3000
Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
Product Name: Inspiron N5110

I'm not sad about that. Provided nothing changes, that makes my job easier.
1 Like

Well, I spoke a little too soon on account of there not being any problems, because Iā€™ve just stumbled upon an annoying bug, and itā€™s a new one.

When looking at an email with PDF attachments in KMail, kitinerary hogs the CPU to such an extent that KMail appears frozen. The rest of the system works normally, and after the CPU spike ā€” which takes about 20 seconds to pass ā€” KMail returns to normal operation, and you can open the attachments with Okular. But it happens every time you select that particular email.

At least itā€™s not a fatal bug. :man_shrugging:

I doubt that theyā€™d be reading the forum, but Grandmaster @philm of the Secret Order of the Manjaruminati is definitely in contact with them, and as such, he may have already informed them of our treacherous conspiracy to subjugate the population of this planet to Plasma 5.24 LTS. :stuck_out_tongue:

:crazy_face:

3 Likes

To do that, youā€™d need a stable platform to do it from, ya know? So, maybe not quite at the momentā€¦but plannedā€¦eventually.

1 Like

Keep crossing those fingersā€¦

Okay yesterdays Update to 5.26.4 didnt solve my bugs, so Plasmashell keeps crashing. I case anybody hoped for a fix.

2 Likes

:musical_note: Keep crossing those fingers, baby! :musical_note:

At least i have learned how to deal with it without rebooting:
Go to textshell with CMD+ALT+F2 execute killall plasmashell
Go back to graphic shell with CMD+ALT+F1, open KRunner type in plasmashell, press Enter everythin is okay again.

Till it happens the next time.

1 Like

Or, create an alias somewhere, say ~/.zshrc:

alias kr='kquitapp5 plasmashell && kstart5 plasmashell'

then you can just execute kr when you need to have it restarted.

kr

Works for me, might work for you.

2 Likes

Winnie Botā„¢ 2.1-rc6 has autodetected a typographical and/or syntax error in your recent post.

Processingā€¦

Processingā€¦

Processingā€¦

I have concluded with a 99.84% confidence factor that you meant to write ~/.zshrc instead of ~.zshrc

:robot:

2 Likes

Thank you @winnie the 'bot.

2 Likes