KDE Plasma 5.26.x Stability Inquiry

If Arch doesn’t have any problems with Plasma 5.26.x while Manjaro does, then there must be something wrong with the way those packages are built — or perhaps what they are built against — by the Manjaro team. :thinking:

Pinging @philm

They are same packages.

pacman -Sg plasma | cut -d' ' -f2 | pacman -Si - | grep Packager

Seems plausible, but meanwhile, I’ve had zero problems on Manjaro with either of the three latest versions, 5.24, 5.25 and 5.26 on my Lenovo Legion 5 with Intel/Nvidia.
Edit: Maybe worth mentioning that I’m on X11.

I did a very basic arch install just for testing. I have plasma-wayland running without bells and whistles and installed acpi. Then some applications I need.
Because manjaro has a lot of hardware to support, it’s possible there is some kind of configuration that misbehaves in relation with some hardware.

In fact I had to start from a base manjaro install in stead off arch linux.

Hardware has nothing to do with it. Manjaro doesn’t support anything more than arch does.

So on latest Plasma (on Testing branch), I still have the issue when waking up the computer with dual monitors where my primary monitor wouldn’t go back up and the second one would only show a black screen with mouse cursor (it can move it is not frozen but I can basically do nothing from there). After reboot the primary monitor is still not working but I can use the second monitor to open Nvidia panel and set up monitors properly.

Related issue Primary screen not working after wake from sleep (only KDE 5.26)

I think I will go back to Plasma LTS for now as this one issue is a deal breaker for me.

Try creating newuser first.

Jumping the gun here a bit, maybe, but for info, after the latest update to 5.26.3 no hitches…everything seems to be A-OK(stable?) after an equally uneventful reboot.

:v:

4 Likes

Hello there :slightly_smiling_face:
I realised that if I move windows around with the meta key in order to quick tile them, the windows get frozen and text gets a little bit blurred (happens to all applications and on different screens). If I move a window with meta + left/right to the left or right side of the screen there is actually no issue. The issue occurs if I divide the screen into four or when I split the screen horizontally.
It is possible to “recover” the frozen window if I drag it a little bit with the mouse or by meta + left for example. If I drag the window to the preffered size/position manually, I also didn’t faced any issues as well.
I noticed it since 2 releases (not 100% sure) and currently running KDE plasma version 5.26.3. Didn’t found this behaviour described anywhere.
Is there anything to troubleshoot or could you recommend watching any logs? Anything else I can do?

Have a great evening!

1 Like

Most issues are migration from older Plasma installs. Those scripts to update settings mostly don’t work properly. So create a new user with fresh settings and see if it is still an issue. You can also test a new ISO with 5.26.3 preinstalled: Release 202211150747 · manjaro/release-review · GitHub

1 Like

Another dissatisfied 5.26.3 customer… :arrow_down:

1 Like

…Some seemingly have the luck of the Irish…and others not, alas…! :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

I don’t think it plasma 5.26 is at level of maturity that 5.24 provides. I still have couple of broken 3rd party widgets (don’t know which is to blame here), and get some random plasma crashes while playing video, though the frequency is much less than what was the case with 5.25. I think 5.24 was just a high point in terms of stability with multiple past releases mostly focussing on bug fixes and refining the experience, instead of major rewrites and addition of new features

5 Likes

I’m sure KDE’s dev team will iron things out, and, then, we’ll pass on to…5.27 :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, all will be fixed by 2028… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

…And, after that - yupee! - there’s Plasma 6.0 in…2023… :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Could this be the beginning of another serial(killer?)…? :worried:

Maybe I’m being unfair - I’ll be positive ! - and there will only be a series of none-connected incidents along the line…or, perhaps, not!..? :thinking:

@Aragorn. I think you’re being ridiculous now. 2028? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: You know it’ll take them longer than six years. Come on. Maybe 2032.

3 Likes

Potential trouble on the way for those of us who chose to stay with 5.24 LTS… :arrow_down:

This is from today’s announcement thread for the updates to the Testing branch.

2 Likes

5.24 LTS has no problem on my computer running current Testing with KDE framework 5.100, so it should be no issue for anybody I think…
Cheers ! :wink:

Eddy

3 Likes

Oh man. I so hope you are correct.

2 Likes