KDE Plasma 5.26.x Stability Inquiry

I use a dual monitor configuration, and my config is :100:

2 Likes

Thank you for this post. This is great. I am still on plasma 5.24.7 which is super stable even after the big update yesterday. It was awesome that this local repo was created and I bow the person who did it!!!

To elaborate, my system is using frameworks 5.99 and Qt 5.15.6, kernel 6.0.6-1, and x11 using the Nouveau video driver (coupled with xcompmgr for compositing.)

I too am very interested in the status of 5.26.x and will follow every post in this thread carefully.

3 Likes

I had no issue previously with 5.25 series, but latest update on 5.26 I noticed issue with my main monitor on DP on Nvidia, after letting the PC sleep by itself and coming back later, the main monitor would not receive any output, and secondary monitor was messed up it was showing mouse cursor but there was no window or anything working. Since 5.26 I went back to Plasma 5.24 LTS as it was an option now.

3 Likes

I have something similar here. After using for a few hours, suddenly all activites get blend together. It is not possible to move windows around, use menus etc, but the programs are still working fine.

UPDATE: just to add that I have 2 monitors and I am using an Intel HD Graphics 610.

UPDATE 2: disabling the compositor (alt+shift+F12) takes way longer to appear the black artifacts to me.

3 Likes

Maybe I missed it, but was a remote repository created for KDE 5.24 LTS, in which we can point to it in our .conf file?

1 Like

No, @philm built the 5.24.7 packages on GitHub and offered the .zip file for download, and then you have to download it, set up a local repository, use repo-add and point /etc/pacman.conf to the directory with the unpacked .zip.

However, as @philm pointed out, when the next update to the KDE Frameworks comes around, the 5.24.7 packages will need to be rebuilt against that, and especially so kwin. So unless someone is willing to maintain the LTS packages, we’ll eventually have to migrate to 5.26.

And that’s why I am now inquiring as to the usability of 5.26. Personally, I don’t have multiple monitors, nor Nvidia hardware, but the crashing — with data loss — and the black screen were the showstoppers in 5.25, and if those are not fixed in 5.26, then 5.26 is no good.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed, but in light of recent patterns with upstream KDE development and maintenance, my optimism remains cautiously at bay. I hope I’m wrong.

2 Likes

I don’t want to just add another me too post, but I am also experiencing the same issue. Since the upgrade, I’ll receive a seemingly random notification and I notice all notifications have gone black, then shortly thereafter everything is frozen in kwin (but I do still hear sounds). I am able to go to a different TTY and reboot though.
Going to try to see if I can find a culprit in logs, but the only thing I see out of the norm is baloo using a ton of CPU. I’ve also migrated away from the Willow Dark Window Decorations, and just went with Breeze decorations. I’ll continue to monitor and see if I can find anything.

2 Likes

Since the update to 5.26 my bluetooth audio is not working. The headphones are connected but pulseaudio doesn’t show them as available. I’ve looked in the pulse/default.pa file to make sure the modules are loaded and reset pulse to no avail.

2 Likes

Having that one as well, I think it’s the same as:

Do you also have 3 monitors?

I did try reverting to default, but it still freezes everything up.

2 Likes

No, I’m only using one ultrawide monitor and an AMD videocard. I’ve been reading the kde bug report on resizable popups having issues with implicit width. When I look at journalctl, I see tons of these appearing when displaying notifications, and that is the last thing I see in the logs before the crash and having to open a new TTY.

Nov 03 15:55:08 Linux-ChaoSphere plasmashell[1029]: Could not find the Plasmoid for Plasma::FrameSvgItem(0x55ace568ed10) QQmlContext(0x55ace34bdc10) QUrl("file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml")
Nov 03 15:55:08 Linux-ChaoSphere plasmashell[1029]: Could not find the Plasmoid for Plasma::FrameSvgItem(0x55ace568ed10) QQmlContext(0x55ace34bdc10) QUrl("file:///usr/sharChaoSpheree/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/global/Globals.qml")
Nov 03 15:55:08 Linux-ChaoSphere plasmashell[1029]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationItem.qml:221:21: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
Nov 03 15:55:08 Linux-ChaoSphere plasmashell[1029]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationItem.qml:221:21: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitWidth"
Nov 03 15:55:08 Linux-ChaoSphere plasmashell[1029]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/NotificationItem.qml:221:21: QML SelectableLabel: Binding loop detected for property "implicitHeight"
Nov 03 15:55:08 Linux-ChaoSphere plasmashell[1029]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.plasma.notifications/contents/ui/SelectableLabel.qml:38:5: QML TextArea: Binding loop detected for property "implicitHeight"
Nov 03 15:55:08 Linux-ChaoSphere plasmashell[1029]: file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/plasma/components.3/ScrollView.qml:45:27: QML ScrollBar: Binding loop detected for property "visible"

This could just be my case, I happen to get a ton of notifications from my mobile using KDEConnect and email but I thought I should share. And I will also share I’m not using any third party application for notifications, just regular knotify.

2 Likes

I must be lucky, no problems on either 5.24, 5.25 or 5.26.

7 Likes

Hmm. I did experience some minor activity weirdness recently running 5.24.7. Just as a precaution I turned off activities for the time being. Maybe it was just a weird glitch.

2 Likes

Why are you all using rolling distro, I wonder? There are plenty of distros with fixed version of DE.

And in regard to bugs: write them to actual kde bugtracker if you want them fixed. And before that, do a clean install (in a VM or something) and see how Plasma works just fine (mostly).

1 Like
  • :-1: Because iteration-release distros have arbitrary “version freeze” policies, regardless of bugfixes from upstream. They may backport bugfixes to “system” libraries and packages, and make exceptions to things like web browsers, but for the most part its arbitrary.

• :-1: They also tend to lag behind other upstream software and projects.

• :-1: They lack the AUR, which is underappreciated.

• :warning: KDE/Plasma happens to be an outlier in recent days, due to their management and developers. (I’ve been through their bugtracker, even recently, and they tend to sit on their thumbs. Then they try to introduce a new “feature” which ends up compounding bugs that have yet to be addressed. I start to lose motivation to put the work into writing up a bug report, as do others I’ve communicated with in private over email. And no, they’re not even Manjaro users; we just happened to cross paths in certain bug reports.) Hence, why some of us want to be able to still use our computers in the meantime, and sticking with 5.24.x allows us this grace period.

We understand we have to eventually (sooner than later?) jump to 5.26.x or even 6.0.x.

But for now, this has been a net positive for my user experience.

5 Likes

I don’t think any of us could have foreseen this situation. I feel like it will resolve itself, so I am not worried. Meantime: Timeshift is my friend! :smiley:

6 Likes

Just giving my two cents:

Personally KDE has been a PITA for the past 1-2 years.

Most issues might be related to using nvidia, however the following issues really struck with me:

Don’t get me wrong, most problems have been fixed over the last 1-2years, however the general tendency to ship “”“stable”“” software (on the side of KDE) has been a nerve racking ride.

The main problem I see are the amount of really weird inconsistent behavior across the board - some people might have no issue at all with 5.24, whereas 5.24 was painful for me. I liked 5.25 more than 5.24 - however lot’s of people had more issues.

There are still some fundamental broken / buggy thinks like putting monitors to sleep and glitching windows / (minor) visual bugs.

My personal KDE experience the entire time was to find workarounds for newly added bugs with each release.

4 Likes

Are you implying that the term “rolling-release” would be synonymous with “buggy and unstable”?

If so, then I think you misunderstand a few things with regard to GNU/Linux distributions.

Are you implying that we didn’t, even though some of us have reported on the other thread that we’ve already done that?

2 Likes

Although I haven’t tried anything other than KDE recently, I would bet money that that bug is not in KDE, but way deeper, I think even deeper than Xorg, like in the kernel (whether it’s a bug or a wrongly chosen default parameter in the boot configuration), or something pretty low-level. This is just a gut feeling though.

No, it is most definitely not a kernel bug, nor is it an X.Org bug, because those same problems also occur on Wayland, and with a whole variety of kernels. And it has also been observed on ARM, so it’s not even specific to x86-64.

Besides, Plasma does not run in kernel space, and the only X.Org component that does is the direct rendering subsystem — Wayland runs a lot more in the kernel’s address space. Everything else runs in ring 3 of the processor — i.e. userspace — and in isolated memory address spaces.

3 Likes