TL;DR: custom locale doesn’t work with KDE apps. Details below:
I created a custom locale file I copied
And I modified only the LC_TIME section:
d_t_fmt "%Y. %b. %-e., %A, %H:%M:%S %Z"
date_fmt "%Y. %b. %-e., %A, %H:%M:%S %Z"
sudo localedef -i en_HU -f UTF-8 en_HU.UTF-8
I manually added the following to
It returned something like this:
then changed the
/etc/locale.conf and in
Then rebooted the system.
In konsole the
date commands returns the wanted format.
The problem is, my KDE apps like dolphin, Digital CLock widget, etc uses en_US locale for time. And there is no option for en_HU in the GUI settings.
If I set LC_TIME to en_GB or something non-custom locale, then every KDE app use those locales.
So the question is:
What am I missing or what I did wrong?
You could try manually editing
~/.config/plama-localerc, but at your own risk, and I would recommend that…
you make a backup copy of it first; and…
you do it in a
tty, while completely logged out of Plasma.
I do not really wish to do that, because non-custom locales works without any modification of this file.
Well, then all I can do is point you toward this tutorial below.
Locale errors are not always obvious and some applications simply stop working without any hints at all - e.g. Gnome Terminal is very sensitive to incorrect configuration of locale.
As root edit the file /etc/locale.gen
Enable the needed locales - including en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8 as fallback.
Rebuild the locale database using the locale-gen script
The Calamares installer adds the locales chosen to the end of /etc/locale.gen so check th…
Beyond that, my hands are tied.
Thanks for the additional information.
It seems to me the KDE do not read changes in locale.
System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
VC Keymap: hu
X11 Layout: hu
Maybe it is a bug
you may have forgotten the modify
/etc/locale.gen accordingly before executing localegen
No i haven’t.
cat /etc/locale.gen | grep -v "^#"
Ups - I missed that - sorry.
I cannot say what is out of phase - but you can use
en_DK as a starting point for a custom file as this is a locale which is mixing elements.
Perhaps you just need to edit .config/plasma-localerc to contain
If I add my custom locale to this file as LC_TIME=en_HU.UTF-8 it still don’t work.
I even tried: Locale - ArchWiki 4.2
I installed gnome for science, I modified nothing else. It works with the gnome UI.
Thanks for the en_DK tip,
This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.