KDE Discover kpeoplevcard

KDE Discover keeps popping up telling me to update kpeoplevcard. If I try to update it results in an unexpected error.

<html>Unbekannter Fehler ErrorUnknown.:<br/><br/>community/kpeoplevcard: Unerwarteter Fehler</html>

I’ve found this thread an followed the instructions but nothing has changed.

[marcus@marcus-wasd ~]$ sudo pacman -Syu kpeoplevcard
[sudo] Passwort für marcus: 
:: Paketdatenbanken werden synchronisiert …
 core ist aktuell
 extra ist aktuell
 community ist aktuell
 multilib ist aktuell
Warnung: kpeoplevcard-0.1-2 ist aktuell -- Reinstalliere
:: Vollständige Systemaktualisierung wird gestartet …
Abhängigkeiten werden aufgelöst …
Nach in Konflikt stehenden Paketen wird gesucht …

Pakete (1) kpeoplevcard-0.1-2

Gesamtgröße der installierten Pakete:  0,05 MiB
Größendifferenz der Aktualisierung:    0,00 MiB

:: Installation fortsetzen? [J/n] J
(1/1) Schlüssel im Schlüsselbund werden geprüft                                                                                                         [#############################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) Paket-Integrität wird überprüft                                                                                                                   [#############################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) Paket-Dateien werden geladen                                                                                                                      [#############################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) Auf Dateikonflikte wird geprüft                                                                                                                   [#############################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) Verfügbarer Festplattenspeicher wird ermittelt                                                                                                    [#############################################################################################] 100%
:: Pre-transaction-Hooks werden gestartet …
(1/1) Creating Timeshift snapshot before upgrade...
==> skipping timeshift-autosnap due skipRsyncAutosnap in /etc/timeshift-autosnap.conf set to TRUE.
:: Paketänderungen werden verarbeitet …
(1/1) Reinstalliert wird kpeoplevcard                                                                                                                   [#############################################################################################] 100%
:: Post-transaction-Hooks werden gestartet …
(1/2) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdate...
(2/2) Refreshing PackageKit...
[marcus@marcus-wasd ~]$ sudo pacman -Syuu
 core ist aktuell
 extra ist aktuell
 community ist aktuell
 multilib ist aktuell
 Es gibt nichts zu tun
sudo pacman -Syuu

Results in “nothing to do”

[marcus@marcus-wasd ~]$ sudo pacman -Syuu
[sudo] Passwort für marcus: 
 core ist aktuell
 extra ist aktuell
 community ist aktuell
 multilib ist aktuell
 Es gibt nichts zu tun

Do you have *.pacnew files ? :wink:

Then I guess you’re already up to date. But you have not been merging your .pacnew files, because the Community repo was already dropped months ago.

pacdiff -o

… will show you how many .pacnew files you have. These files must not be ignored, nor must they be blindly copied over the existing configuration files. You must compare them side by side and adapt your configuration files to what the .pacnew files introduce — see the pertinent page at the Arch Wiki.

pacdiff returned a bunch of files. It is the first time I get in touch with this. I understand that I need to merge them manually but this will take some time for me.

[marcus@marcus-wasd ~]$ pacdiff -o
/usr/share/icons/default/index.theme.pacsave
/etc/profile.pacnew
/etc/shells.pacnew
/etc/locale.gen.pacnew
/etc/gnuradio/conf.d/grc.conf.pacnew
/etc/default/grub.pacnew
/etc/pamac.conf.pacnew
/etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.pacnew
/etc/mkinitcpio.conf.pacnew
/etc/pacman.conf.pacnew
/etc/pulse/default.pa.pacnew
/etc/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf.pacsave

A .pacsave is generally the result of a package having been uninstalled after its configuration was changed away from the default. If you’re sure you no longer need the package in question — in your case, it appears to be an icon theme — then you can safely delete it.

Your .pacnews will of course have to be tended to. As a word of caution, be careful with your shells.pacnew, because it mistakenly left out /bin/zsh, which could lead to login problems.

From an end-user-i-dont-know-anything-about-this perspective this is really scary. For future system updates I need to find a routine which prevents me from situations like this. Is it preferable to have zero pacnew files or will there be always some of them?

You always can ask !

We’re happy to help.

But we don’t like to do the thinking for others :wink:

(Wisdom lies in asking → listening → reading :wink: )

Wir helfen gerne.

Aber wir übernehmen ungern das denken für andere :wink:

Not every update comes with .pacnew files, but if you update by way of pacman, then you will normally see a notification whenever this is the case. They are usually the result of a major version bump to one or multiple packages.

I’ve been using maus to update my system for at least a year without any issues. It checks for pacnew files as part of the process & prompts for action by the user:

So what is it (maus) actually doing?

Check for database lock file and prompt for removal in case it's present
Remove partially downloaded packages
Mirrorsync and system update via Pacman
AUR update via installed AUR helper: pamac, yay, pikaur, aurman, pakku, trizen, pacaur, paru
Search for orphaned packages and prompt for removal *(I usually just hit N to leave them installed)*
Check for failed systemd service(s)
Check for broken symlinks
Check consistency of local repository
Check for packages moved to the AUR
Clean systemd log files
Clean package cache ( Note this will remove all package versions, except the latest 2 )
Check for EOL Kernels
Checks if Meld is installed and runs sudo pacdiff
(If Installed) Updates Flatpaks and cleans via flatpak uninstall --unused --delete-data
(If Installed) Updates Snaps
Shows you how long it did take to run this script
1 Like

Which is decidedly incorrect.
They probably want pacdiff -s

$ man pacdiff
[...]
       -s, --sudo
           Use sudo and sudoedit to merge/remove files.
[...]

maus uses sudo -E pacdiff, which preserves the environment of the current user. From the maus script source (https://github.com/puxplaying/maus/blob/master/maus):

# Run pacdiff
_pacdiff() {
    echo " sudo pacdiff ..."
    if [[ -n $DIFFPROG ]]; then # this if-condition avoids error message when $DIFFPROG is not set/empty
        sudo -E pacdiff
    else
        sudo -E DIFFPROG="meld" pacdiff
    fi

echo ""
}

I haven’t had any pacdiff files since I installed my new mini PC last week, so I can’t test if anything has changed since my old PC died, but pacdiff launched by maus worked fine all the time when I was using it on the old system.

Yeah I saw that.
sudo -E preserves the users environment variables.
That doesnt really change the fact that pacdiff does not need to be launched with sudo.
Using sudo -e (sudoedit) would be preferable for any given action that requires it, but not for pacdiff as a whole.
Which is what pacdiff -s does.

I’m sure it ‘works’ … just like some people try to figure out ways to sudo dolphin or similar … but that does not make it good practice. Or that there arent superior methods.

1 Like

I’m nowhere near knowledgeable enough to be able to argue with you, but if the maus script is doing pacdiff the wrong way, maybe someone could lodge an issue on maus’ GitHub page suggesting a better way? It is a very useful script (as is anything that prevents users from skipping important steps during & after the update process), and the lack of issues (open or closed) seems to indicate that few users have experienced problems using it so far.

I might message puxplaying.
(thanks for the reminder by the way … I had forgotten who I brainstormed forking a non telnet version of ascii starwars with :slight_smile:)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.