KDE Connect keeps disconnecting from my phone

I think i should install dbus-broker-units right? Trying to remove dbus-daemon-units gives me the dependency error even after installing dbus-broker

Trying to install dbus-broker-units gives me the option to remove dbus-daemon-units.

To install (1):
  dbus-broker-units  35-2                                            core  2.5 kB
To remove (1):
  dbus-daemon-units  1.14.10-2  (Conflicts With: dbus-broker-units)  core

Total download size: 2.5 kB
Total removed size: 820 bytes

Apply transaction ? [y/N] N

Correct. I was hoping installing dbus-broker would pull it in, but apparently not.

I’m thinking 'bout going nuclear on this as well, but don’t know what it’ll break, since something is keeping it and I don’t know if you need it or not…

So let’s get dbus-broker installed first.

Edit:

YES! This is what I was hoping for. Go ahead!

Okay im rebooting now, wish me luck lol

Welp, that did not fix anything. Still the same bugs.

Jan 29 15:07:25 ManjaroLap dbus-broker[1216]: Monitor :1.99 is being disconnected as it attempted to send a message.
Jan 29 15:07:25 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1404]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.kdeconnect/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml:37:23: QML DeviceDelegate: Binding loop detected for property "width"
Jan 29 15:07:32 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1404]: kdeconnect.interfaces: dbus interface not valid
Jan 29 15:07:32 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1404]: kdeconnect.interfaces: dbus interface not valid
Jan 29 15:07:32 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[2939]: kdeconnect.interfaces: dbus interface not valid
Jan 29 15:07:36 ManjaroLap kdeconnectd[3189]: Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Jan 29 15:07:37 ManjaroLap kdeconnectd[3189]: DataControlOffer: timeout reading from pipe
Jan 29 15:07:38 ManjaroLap kdeconnectd[3189]: DataControlOffer: timeout reading from pipe
Jan 29 15:07:38 ManjaroLap dbus-broker[1216]: Monitor :1.101 is being disconnected as it attempted to send a message.

How did you install KDE connect? It’s in the extra repository:

$ pamac search kdeconnect
[...]
kdeconnect  23.08.4-2 [Installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                                       extra
Adds communication between KDE and your smartphone

You have not been maintaining your system. The Community repo was dropped seven months ago. You probably have a busload of .pacnew files to tend to.

2 Likes

'bout that, see:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave#.pacnew

2 Likes

I installed it through the Add/Remove Software app for pacman.

Pacman doesn’t have such a thing. I think you mean pamac - don’t worry, I used to get them confused in the beginning as well.

But you should handle all your .pacnew files anyway. It might play a role.

1 Like

Oops, yes.

I just did, by using pacdiff and overwriting the pacnews.

I just did a pacdiff, removed kdeconnect, reinstalled it through pamac in cli and:
Wow! It seems to have fixed it!(for now atleast). If it reverts back to disconnecting ill tell it here.

Don’t neglect them. As you can see here, it makes a big difference.

Lesson learnt, thanks homie

Oh goodness i goofed up, apparently there is some kind of password reset after handling .pacnews and now I can’t log back in to my desktop. What do I do? I have a windows partition on my desktop if that is of any help at all

Best would be to boot into a live environment, from there enter a chroot environment, and reset the password from there.

How to chroot

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot encironment:

manjaro-chroot -a
  1. If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

When done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart.

This all assumes you don’t use either encryption, nor btrfs, both of which are cases I won’t be able to help you with.

From the chroot environment, you can reset your user’s password with:

passwd <userName>

Where, you guessed it, <userName> is the username whose password you wish to reset.

When done, exit the chroot environment, and reboot.

Make sure your computer doesn’t reboot back into the live environment!

AFAIK you should now be able to log in again. I*f not, please open a new topic, as I might not be here anymore…

I did ctrl+alt+f3 and logged in into root, is that fine?

I’m following this currently:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=237239

I’m trying to change password using the passwd command on root, and it doesn’t look like it works

FINALLY FIXED IT!: It’s probably the dirtiest way ever but I just userdel-d and useradd-ed my username.

Please let me know if there will be any repercussions for this

AFAIK yes.

I don’t know why it wouldn’t, but please, rather start a new thread as this is a completely different problem than the title.

Would you believe it! The problem is back :frowning:

I suspect it has something to do with my user

One might be that your $HOME directory, including contents were deleted. But that can be overridden, so it depends on how you did it. Probably.

You might have to re-pair it with KDE connect, :man_shrugging:
But I repeat, please open another thread. The original problem was solved, it might be caused by something different now as it’s essentially new, completely different user.

I think ive got it, it was probably a corrupted config file, which went away temporarily because my home user went away after handling the pacnew files. Since the config didnt go away on uninstall, no amount of reinstalling seemed to help. Now ive deleted the config file and installed kde connect again and it hasnt disconnected yet. Only time will tell if that was the issue.

Really sorry, i just felt this need to be said.

Id suggest marking this as the solution if others are convinced.

Final edit: So this issue seems to persist after a reboot, but was easily fixed by just using an old copy of the kdeconnect config. This also seems to be an issue specific to my android device.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.