KDE Connect keeps disconnecting from my phone

This happens only with 2 plugins. 1 is notification sync, whenever there is a notification, the phone disconnects from my desktop. 2nd one is when i send a file from my phone to desktop, it disconnects.

With Notification Sync, the problem is especially worse because if it is enabled, it wont connect again and just go back to saying ‘Device is Unreachable’.

Every other plugin works pretty much flawlessly though.

Note: All the plugins work flawlessly from my android tab to my desktop, as well as my phone to my tab

I turned on notification sync and reconnected my desktop to the phone and this is what i got on journalctl:

Jan 29 13:21:09 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: kf.kirigami: The Theme singleton is deprecated (since 5.39). Import Kirigami 2.2 or higher and use the attached property instead.
Jan 29 13:21:09 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/ScrollablePage.qml:200:9: QML MouseArea: Binding loop detected for property "width"
Jan 29 13:21:38 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: file:///usr/lib/qt/qml/org/kde/kirigami.2/ScrollablePage.qml:200:9: QML MouseArea: Binding loop detected for property "width"
Jan 29 13:21:47 ManjaroLap dbus-daemon[1301]: [session uid=1000 pid=1301] Monitoring connection :1.134 (uid=1000 pid=11153 comm="/usr/lib/kdeconnectd") is not allowed to send messages; closing it. Please fix the monitor to not do that. (message type="method_call" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus" member="AddMatch" error name="(unset)" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus")
Jan 29 13:21:47 ManjaroLap dbus-daemon[1301]: [session uid=1000 pid=1301] Monitoring connection :1.134 (uid=1000 pid=11153 comm="/usr/lib/kdeconnectd") is not allowed to send messages; closing it. Please fix the monitor to not do that. (message type="method_call" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus" member="AddMatch" error name="(unset)" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus")
Jan 29 13:21:47 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: qrc:/qml/DevicePage.qml:102: TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of null
Jan 29 13:21:47 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: qrc:/qml/DevicePage.qml:88: TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of null
Jan 29 13:21:47 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: qrc:/qml/DevicePage.qml:81: TypeError: Cannot read property 'id' of null
Jan 29 13:21:47 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: qrc:/qml/DevicePage.qml:37: TypeError: Cannot read property 'isPaired' of null
Jan 29 13:21:47 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: qrc:/qml/DevicePage.qml:29: TypeError: Cannot read property 'isPaired' of null
Jan 29 13:21:47 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: qrc:/qml/DevicePage.qml:24: TypeError: Cannot read property 'isPaired' of null
Jan 29 13:21:47 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: qrc:/qml/DevicePage.qml:17: TypeError: Cannot read property 'name' of null
Jan 29 13:21:47 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1494]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.kdeconnect/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml:37:23: QML DeviceDelegate: Binding loop detected for property "width"
Jan 29 13:21:53 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1494]: kdeconnect.interfaces: dbus interface not valid
Jan 29 13:21:53 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1494]: kdeconnect.interfaces: dbus interface not valid
Jan 29 13:21:53 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[11135]: kdeconnect.interfaces: dbus interface not valid
Jan 29 13:21:55 ManjaroLap kdeconnectd[11690]: Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Jan 29 13:21:55 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1494]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.kdeconnect/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml:37:23: QML DeviceDelegate: Binding loop detected for property "height"
Jan 29 13:21:55 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1494]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.kdeconnect/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml:37:23: QML DeviceDelegate: Binding loop detected for property "height"
Jan 29 13:21:55 ManjaroLap dbus-daemon[1301]: [session uid=1000 pid=1301] Monitoring connection :1.136 (uid=1000 pid=11690 comm="/usr/lib/kdeconnectd") is not allowed to send messages; closing it. Please fix the monitor to not do that. (message type="method_call" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus" member="AddMatch" error name="(unset)" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus")
Jan 29 13:21:55 ManjaroLap dbus-daemon[1301]: [session uid=1000 pid=1301] Monitoring connection :1.136 (uid=1000 pid=11690 comm="/usr/lib/kdeconnectd") is not allowed to send messages; closing it. Please fix the monitor to not do that. (message type="method_call" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus" member="AddMatch" error name="(unset)" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus")
Jan 29 13:21:55 ManjaroLap dbus-daemon[1301]: [session uid=1000 pid=1301] Monitoring connection :1.136 (uid=1000 pid=11690 comm="/usr/lib/kdeconnectd") is not allowed to send messages; closing it. Please fix the monitor to not do that. (message type="method_call" interface="org.freedesktop.DBus" member="StartServiceByName" error name="(unset)" destination="org.freedesktop.DBus")
Jan 29 13:21:55 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1494]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.kdeconnect/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml:37:23: QML DeviceDelegate: Binding loop detected for property "width"

I’ll take this post down if it does not fit here, but ive got no responses in the kde forums or subreddit.

Hi @Hydraknight,

I see a errors regarding dbus-daemon:

Now, I don’t know if this’ll work, or have any effect for that matter, but try switching to dbus-broker, as peer the recent update notification recommendation:

Remove dbus-daemon:

pamac remove dbus-daemon

Do not reboot. I don’t know if it tells you too. Install dbus-broker:

pamac install dbus-broker

As I said, I don’t know if it’ll make a difference, but it might so it’s an option worth exploring, IMHO.

Hope it helps!

pamac says Error: target not found: dbus-daemon

on the GUI dbus brings up only dbus, dbus-daemon-units, dbus-glib, dbus-python as installed, and there is no mention of dbus-daemon, should i just go ahead with installing dbus-broker? I doesnt give me conflicts i try to, anyway

Are you completely up-to-date?

What is the output of:

pamac search --installed dbus

Yea my systen is fully up to date

pamac search --installed dbus gives:

xdg-dbus-proxy  0.1.5-1                                                                                                                                              extra
    Filtering proxy for D-Bus connections
libdbusmenu-qt5  0.9.3+16.04.20160218-6                                                                                                                              extra
    A library that provides a Qt implementation of the DBusMenu spec
libdbusmenu-gtk3  16.04.0.r498-2                                                                                                                                     extra
    Library for passing menus over DBus (GTK+ 3 library)
libdbusmenu-glib  16.04.0.r498-2                                                                                                                                     extra
    Library for passing menus over DBus
lib32-dbus  1.14.10-2                                                                                                                                             multilib
    Freedesktop.org message bus system - 32-bit
kdbusaddons5  5.113.0-1                                                                                                                                              extra
    Addons to QtDBus
jack2-dbus  1.9.22-1                                                                                                                                                 extra
    The JACK low-latency audio server (dbus integration)
dbus-python  1.3.2-2                                                                                                                                                 extra
    Python bindings for D-Bus
dbus-glib  0.112-3                                                                                                                                                   extra
    GLib bindings for D-Bus (deprecated)
dbus-daemon-units  1.14.10-2                                                                                                                                          core
    Freedesktop.org message bus system - Service units
dbus  1.14.10-2                                                                                                                                                       core
    Freedesktop.org message bus system

Hmmm, OK. I don’t know why, or how this is installed:

…but not dbus-daemon. Anyway, remove that:

pamac remove dbus-daemon-units

And then installing dbus-broker again:

Ahh, dependency hell again:

Preparing...
Checking dependencies...
Error: Failed to prepare transaction:
could not satisfy dependencies:
- removing dbus-daemon-units breaks dependency 'dbus-units' required by systemd

Also, apparently dbus-daemon doesnt even exist?

pamac install dbus-daemon                                                                               
Error: target not found: dbus-daemon

OH, it exists all right:

$ pamac search dbus-daemon
dbus-daemon-units  1.14.10-2                                                                                                                                                                                                                             core
Freedesktop.org message bus system - Service units

But that error makes me think your package-lists are out-of-date. So let’s try syncing those first:

sudo pacman -Sy

And then try again.

I synced it before i ran the command anyways and they are synced.

:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date

And it still shows the same dependency error

OK, the last think I can think of is ensuring your mirrors are correct:

sudo pacman-mirrors --fasttrack=5

This will select the 5 closest mirrors to you.

And then going nuclear on the package lists:

sudo pacman -Syyu

Note:

• The double-y isn’t usually necessary or recommended, I only recommend it as an extreme measure in this case;
  • this will also perform any updates that might have been skipped for whatever reason.

After that, you can try installing dbus-broker again:

If that works, try removing dbus-daemon-units again:

I think i should install dbus-broker-units right? Trying to remove dbus-daemon-units gives me the dependency error even after installing dbus-broker

Trying to install dbus-broker-units gives me the option to remove dbus-daemon-units.

To install (1):
  dbus-broker-units  35-2                                            core  2.5 kB
To remove (1):
  dbus-daemon-units  1.14.10-2  (Conflicts With: dbus-broker-units)  core

Total download size: 2.5 kB
Total removed size: 820 bytes

Apply transaction ? [y/N] N

Correct. I was hoping installing dbus-broker would pull it in, but apparently not.

I’m thinking 'bout going nuclear on this as well, but don’t know what it’ll break, since something is keeping it and I don’t know if you need it or not…

So let’s get dbus-broker installed first.

Edit:

YES! This is what I was hoping for. Go ahead!

Okay im rebooting now, wish me luck lol

Welp, that did not fix anything. Still the same bugs.

Jan 29 15:07:25 ManjaroLap dbus-broker[1216]: Monitor :1.99 is being disconnected as it attempted to send a message.
Jan 29 15:07:25 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1404]: file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.kdeconnect/contents/ui/FullRepresentation.qml:37:23: QML DeviceDelegate: Binding loop detected for property "width"
Jan 29 15:07:32 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1404]: kdeconnect.interfaces: dbus interface not valid
Jan 29 15:07:32 ManjaroLap plasmashell[1404]: kdeconnect.interfaces: dbus interface not valid
Jan 29 15:07:32 ManjaroLap kdeconnect-app[2939]: kdeconnect.interfaces: dbus interface not valid
Jan 29 15:07:36 ManjaroLap kdeconnectd[3189]: Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Jan 29 15:07:37 ManjaroLap kdeconnectd[3189]: DataControlOffer: timeout reading from pipe
Jan 29 15:07:38 ManjaroLap kdeconnectd[3189]: DataControlOffer: timeout reading from pipe
Jan 29 15:07:38 ManjaroLap dbus-broker[1216]: Monitor :1.101 is being disconnected as it attempted to send a message.

How did you install KDE connect? It’s in the extra repository:

$ pamac search kdeconnect
[...]
kdeconnect  23.08.4-2 [Installed]                                                                                                                                                                                                                       extra
Adds communication between KDE and your smartphone

You have not been maintaining your system. The Community repo was dropped seven months ago. You probably have a busload of .pacnew files to tend to.

2 Likes

'bout that, see:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave#.pacnew

2 Likes

I installed it through the Add/Remove Software app for pacman.

Pacman doesn’t have such a thing. I think you mean pamac - don’t worry, I used to get them confused in the beginning as well.

But you should handle all your .pacnew files anyway. It might play a role.

1 Like

Oops, yes.

I just did, by using pacdiff and overwriting the pacnews.

I just did a pacdiff, removed kdeconnect, reinstalled it through pamac in cli and:
Wow! It seems to have fixed it!(for now atleast). If it reverts back to disconnecting ill tell it here.