Kate stop working

After latest upgrade Kate stop working, giving this error message in terminal:
kate: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN9KLineEdit16returnKeyPressedERK7QString

Same with Kwrite
And System Settings-Applications quits with no message.
Kernel 5.11.14-1, KDE plasma V:5.21.4
What to do now ?

1 Like

I believe you might find your answer in the Stable Announcement, either under “New Issues” or further down.

But first, try a reboot.

Before doing an upgrade, it’s always a good practice to read the Announcement.

Reboot didn’t help, checked New issues, following this:

wget https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/k/kio/kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
sudo pacman -U kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
echo “IgnorePkg = kio” | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf

Gives the following error: warning: config file /etc/pacman.conf, line 100: directive ‘IgnorePkg’ in section ‘multilib’ not recognized.
error: ‘echo’: could not find or read package
error: ‘IgnorePkg = kio’: could not find or read package
loading packages…
resolving dependencies…
looking for conflicting packages…
:: kio and kio-git are in conflict. Remove kio-git? [y/N] y
error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency ‘kio-git’ required by kdeclarative-git
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency ‘kio-git’ required by kinit-git
:: removing kio-git breaks dependency ‘kio-git’ required by knewstuff-git
IgnorePkg = kio

what to do next ?

Try searching before posting. Your exact issue has been addressed a couple of times in the last few days.

3 Likes

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

After following another thread and:

1. replacing kio-git, kinit-git, knewstuff-git and kdeclarative-git with their non-git counterparts,

2. the following commands work:

wget https://archive.archlinux.org/packages/k/kio/kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
    sudo pacman -U kio-5.79.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst
    echo "IgnorePkg = kio" | sudo tee -a /etc/pacman.conf

3. Afterwards, replace all k*-git packages with their non-git counterparts via pamac.

Kate, Kwrite, plasma and System Settings-Applications now seem to work as expected.

How to replace all k*-git packages with their non-git counterparts via pamac?
Do I have to do it one by one?

Pamac is not a great way to do it.

Use the command line pacman instead.

I did everything and I’m still getting the same error:
❯ kate
kate: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libKF5TextEditor.so.5: undefined symbol: _ZN9KLineEdit16returnKeyPressedERK7QString

You are sure you don’t have any -git package left?

I don’t know how to replace all k*-git packages at once with the least amount of effort, but I assume you could use pamac list --installed | grep **-git to find them. Do keep in mind, however, that this command will list all installed *-git packages and not only the k-ones, so you’ll have some sorting out to do yourself.

I got the list of k packages, I’m doing the upgrades manually. I’ll let you know if it works.

After updating all the k packages from -git to non git, Kate started to work. Thanks guys.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.