Kaspersky gui fails to load

I am using kaspersky antivirus for linux which i got through YAY.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kesl-gui

It was working just fine for two weeks. Updating, scanning etc.

The basic service ‘kesl’ is working but its GUI known as ‘kesl-gui’ has suddenly stopped working now.

Uninstalled using YAY then rebooted and reinstalled and the problem remains. KESL works but kesl-gui does not load.

What could be the problem? Terminal is fairly limited in what one can do with KESL in the terminal, so KESL-GUI is critical.

My machine details are:

System:
  Kernel: 6.0.6-1-MANJARO arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0
    parameters: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.0-x86_64

Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.26.2 tk: Qt v: 5.15.6 wm: kwin_x11 vt: 1 dm: SDDM
    Distro: Manjaro Linux

Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: LENOVO v: ideacentre AIO 310-20IAP

CPU:
  Info: model: Intel Celeron J3355 bits: 64

Thanks

may you start the gui-application from a terminal ? It won’t work but you will see the error-messages. post them to see what could failure.

Hi Olli, thx. Here is the command:

$ /opt/kaspersky/kesl/libexec/kesl-gui-launcher

OUTPUT OF ABOVE COMMAND:

/opt/kaspersky/kesl/libexec/kesl-gui: /opt/kaspersky/kesl/lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.30' not found (required by /usr/lib/libicuuc.so.72)

well try to install
“libstdc++5” from package manager and check if it solves the problem

1 Like

Is your system fully updated? libicuuc.so.72 is part of icu 72. You will need to rebuild your AUR package (Kaspersky) against the new library (ies).

1 Like

Read AUR comments. Package isn’t maintained anymore. So you’ll have to do it yourself.

Won’t help in this case, since it just downloads .deb and extracts it.

You can preload system lib…until the next one breaks:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 /opt/kaspersky/kesl/libexec/kesl-gui-launcher 
1 Like

Remember also - this is a Russian ‘cybersecurity’ giant - isn’t it time to move on?

There’s always space between a US- and a Chinese- Firewall for a russian one.

1 Like

ZBE well that worked. Many thanks.

Is it possible to either build a shortcut for this or autoexecute it on system startup?

The KESL packages are not being updated but YAY does download and execute the following configuration files listed on the AUR page:

kesl.ini
kesl.install
kesl.start.conf

So I’m wondering why uninstall and reinstall of kesl-gui and kesl doesn’t work.

I did manually execute “systemctrl stop kesl” several times over the last week, to free some RAM (had only 4GB and no SWAP at that time).

kesl-gui was kept running by me, though kesl was stopped manually as specified above.

I did not bother to stop kesl-gui because its memory footprint is tiny.

Maybe this tampering broke something in kesl-gui and so it won’t load now without LD_PRELOAD?

Here is a pop up message I get when i try to execute kesl-gui using the kesl-gui desktop shortcut (that was created by AUR during install) using right click and the 'open with create launcher on the panel’ option on the right click menu:

Failed to add plugin to the panel
GDBus.Error: Org.freedesktop.dbus.error: ServiceUnknown: The name org.xfce.Panel was not provided by any .service files

Is anything broken on my installation?

Thanks.

Use same command? You can probably just overwrite kaspersky libstdc++.so.6 and it will work.

And system ones are. That was my point - package is unmaintained. And it uses some system libs and it has some own libs, so the result is unsurprising.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.