Kactivitymanagerd-git vs kactivitymanagerd

Hey,

On unstable branch, KDE Plasma-git version the latest two updates rendered the system almost unusable. Just after the SDDM and Splash Screen the desktop is blank. Fortunately Yakuake is started, hence investigation can be done a bit easier.
The issue seems to be related to kactivitymanagerd that fails to start. The reason is that in GIT version there are two “units” now:

• /usr/lib/systemd/plasma-kactivitymanagerd.service with this content:
[Unit]
Description=KActivityManager Activity manager Service

[Service]
ExecStart=/usr/lib/kactivitymanagerd
BusName=org.kde.ActivityManager
Slice=background.slice
  • /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.ActivityManager.service with this content:
[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.kde.ActivityManager
Exec=/usr/lib/kactivitymanagerd
SystemdService=plasma-kactivitymanagerd.service

To me this looks like both try to execute the /usr/lib/kactivitymanagerd that might not be an issue per se, but on the other hand one has BusName=org.kde.ActivityManager and the other Name=org.kde.ActivityManager - not sure this is supposed to be so, or why is cyclical.

systemd doesn’t recognizes the existence of any plasma-kactivitymanagerd.service so i thought to ignore that unit and focus only on the D-BUS Service since is present in KDE Plasma (non-git version) and starts correctly. The /usr/share/dbus-1/services/org.kde.ActivityManager.service has only this lines:

[D-BUS Service]
Name=org.kde.ActivityManager
Exec=/usr/lib/kactivitymanagerd

Once i changed to that in the GIT version, the desktop loads correctly.
I made this post just for clarification and maybe someone has a better explanation/fix or why this change took place, or the logic/reason behind it. Had no time to investigate more, but if someone got into this elsewhere, please let me know.
Thanks!

1 Like

Git versions are random snapshots without any guarantee to work at all. Mostly a newer version might fix it.

1 Like

Yeah, but are fun :grin:

well spotted anyway and great debugging! :nerd_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.