Journalctl -xe suggests support forum that is no more

Here is a screen grab of what it said:

-- The process' exit code is 'exited' and its exit status is 1.
Aug 27 19:07:31 backup-PC systemd[1]: samba.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
-- Subject: Unit failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: *(link is not allowed)* technical-issues-and-assistance
-- 
-- The unit samba.service has entered the 'failed' state with result 'exit-code'.
Aug 27 19:07:31 backup-PC systemd[1]: Failed to start Samba AD Daemon.
-- Subject: A start job for unit samba.service has failed
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: *(link is not allowed)* technical-issues-and-assistance
-- 
-- A start job for unit samba.service has finished with a failure.
-- 
-- The job identifier is 1179 and the job result is failed.
Aug 27 19:07:31 backup-PC audit[1]: SERVICE_START pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=samba comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostname=? addr=? terminal=? res=f>
Aug 27 19:07:31 backup-PC kernel: audit: type=1130 audit(1598512051.162:80): pid=1 uid=0 auid=4294967295 ses=4294967295 msg='unit=samba comm="systemd" exe="/usr/lib/systemd/systemd" hostnam>
Aug 27 19:07:31 backup-PC sudo[1163]: pam_unix(sudo:session): session closed for user root
Aug 27 19:07:31 backup-PC audit[1163]: USER_END pid=1163 uid=0 auid=1000 ses=1 msg='op=PAM:session_close grantors=pam_limits,pam_unix,pam_permit acct="root" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? a>
Aug 27 19:07:31 backup-PC audit[1163]: CRED_DISP pid=1163 uid=0 auid=1000 ses=1 msg='op=PAM:setcred grantors=pam_unix,pam_permit,pam_env acct="root" exe="/usr/bin/sudo" hostname=? addr=? te>
Aug 27 19:07:31 backup-PC kernel: audit: type=1106 audit(1598512051.165:81): pid=1163 uid=0 auid=1000 ses=1 msg='op=PAM:session_close grantors=pam_limits,pam_unix,pam_permit acct="root" exe>
Aug 27 19:07:31 backup-PC kernel: audit: type=1104 audit(1598512051.165:82): pid=1163 uid=0 auid=1000 ses=1 msg='op=PAM:setcred grantors=pam_unix,pam_permit,pam_env acct="root" exe="/usr/bi>
~

It looks like ‘PAM’ it’s denying access for user ‘root’ . Why would she do that?

see first reply about pam

[Stable Staging Update] 2020-08-26 - Kernels, PAM, PAMBASE, KDE-git, Deepin, Pamac, Nvidia 450.66, LibreOffice 7.0

please see also how to report log
using

example

or

example 2
For recovery, it is enough to boot with kernel option “systemd.unit=rescue.target”, then proceed into /etc/pam.d and merge “system-auth” and “system-auth.pacnew”

IDK how to boot with kernel options. Linux seems too convoluted for a simple home computer.
I think my best bet will be to copy the whole /etc folder of the system that does work and overwrite the one on the system that doesn’t and then restore the proper fstab settings before rebooting, but I’m going to give up on it for now.

Why? If you get it fixed - you’ll have learned the skills to master those situations.

If your system doesn’t boot up anymore just use a live usb and manjaro-chroot into your existing installation to repair.

Your error message mentions /etc/pam.d/system-auth and /etc/pam.d/system-auth.pacnew.
You should inspect/merge pacnew files when the get generated - preferably before a system reboot/shutdown. See pacman/Pacnew and Pacsave - ArchWiki

It’s great acquiring skills, but I’ve been doing that since the late 70’s. The technology is constantly changing (although I do question the need for that - I just want my machine to be the same today as it was yesterday and get on with my work). The IT “skills” all get jumbled up in my head eventually and it’s not what I want to be doing.

Thus I decided long time ago to let the OS do it’s own thing on it’s own drive and when it gets messed up just wipe the drive and reinstall. So that’s what I did this time too.

The actual machine was just intended as stand alone PC on the network with a big backup drive.
Once I understood that my PC bios forces me to use multiple backup drives on Manjaro (under 2048 TB) it all works fine. I just need ssh to unmount and mount whichever backup drive I want to use.

The problem started where I install ssh: On my main PC I had followed “setting-up-ssh/105041” from this forum but that has gone now. Alas the “check for archived” option says there is none and so I had messed something up when doing that, and it was a big mistake to try and fix it, that also appears to have messed up ssh on my original machine.

Reinstalling I discovered Manjaro decided to install on the backup drive rather the smaller one that I wanted it on. Was to be expected as Linux doesn’t understand the concept of drives, but I digress…) Luckily I hadn’t actually backed anything significant up yet, thus all I had to do was disconnect that drive and install again. This time I found an ssh walk through on Arch site and it appears to be working on that backup machine now.

Sadly ssh on my original machine got messed up with me trying to fix it previously.
as I didn’t know which end the problem was. Thus that is now telling me connection on port 22 refused, but it does let me ssh to the backup machine which is all I need to get back to work and do backups and while I am grateful for the help I receive on this forum I don’t want to spend any more time on it now.

1 Like

Still available on the archived old forum:

All fine, no worries.
Good luck getting your machine up and running again.

1 Like

Ah my bad, I see the check for archived version I clicked on was produced by duck duck go and checks the way back machine… not the forum archive. So that explains why I didn’t find it! - oops- :grin:

Also I fixed the problem: I typed as follow:
pamac remove openssh
said yes to all it’s objections and it uninstalled 256 MB of who knows what
then I typed
pamac install openssh
sudo systmctl -S enable openssh
sudo systemctl -S restart openssh
… and it works both ways now :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.