Journalctl not showing all SSH connection attempts

Relating to this thread, there is no /var/log/auth.log file on manjaro, so we have to use journalctl like journalctl -u sshd | tail -n 50 to get an overview about successfully and failed login attempts with ssh.
This is working for login attempts for local devices in my network, e.g. my ssh server is computer A and my “daily used” computer is computer B: I try to connect from B to A over ssh (login with username, password and private key), i can see the login attempt with journalctl:

$ journalctl -u sshd | tail -n 1
Dez 30 11:54:41 nuc sshd[631768]: Connection closed by invalid user xyz 192.168.178.2 port 62897 [preauth]

But if i try to connect from a different device which is NOT in my local network (i.e. my smartphone with terminus) → those ssh login attempts are not stored in journalctl. Why?

System information:

$ journalctl --version
systemd 249 (249.7-2-manjaro)

$ sshd --version
unknown option – -
OpenSSH_8.8p1, OpenSSL 1.1.1l 24 Aug 2021

$ cat /etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=ManjaroLinux
DISTRIB_RELEASE=21.2.0
DISTRIB_CODENAME=Qonos
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION=“Manjaro Linux”

Rethorical question: do you open ports on your router? If your device is unreachable from external networks it’s no chance to log anything.

1 Like

Oh god damn, this is just unpleasant. Yes. This was the problem.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.