Josm does not launch

I am unable to launch josm for some time now. When replacing with the snap package, it works.

There is an important version difference between the snap (18822) and official (18721) version. Apparently, there is a problem with java (already seen in other older topics with josm) but I cannot install the adequate java21 missing module.

josm

Using /usr/bin/java to execute josm.
Error occurred during initialization of boot layer
java.lang.module.FindException: Module javafx.web not found

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

Which Java version have you installed?

archlinux-java status gives

Available Java environments:
  java-17-openjdk
  java-21-openjdk (default)

Moderator edit: In the future, please use proper formatting: [HowTo] Post command output and file content as formatted text

It looks like openjfx isn’t in official packages any more? Only java17-openjfx is there.

The latest version 21 is on the AUR so I guess try installing that - AUR (en) - java-openjfx

This is an interesting proposal but I get on error when installing it

==> Lancement de prepare()…
/var/tmp/pamac-build-guirec/java-openjfx/PKGBUILD: ligne 67: patch : commande introuvable
==> ERREUR : Une erreur s’est produite dans prepare().
    Abandon…

Sorry for the French if it is a problem but the Command “patch” cannot be found.
I am not competent enough to edit the AUR package

Install the base-devel package, it’s required for AUR use.

1 Like

josm 18822-1 was released in Arch 2023-10-15 07:38 UTC
and also available in Manjaro Unstable branch - packages.manjaro.org – josm

If you prefer, you can post in French in our Français section.

When you post in English, please prefix commands with LC_ALL=C so others don’t have to attempt to translate; i.e.,:

LC_ALL=C pamac build java-openjfx

You’re missing the prerequisites for using the AUR (Arch User Repository.

Also notice my edits to your posts above to fix the formatting.

Thank you all for the help.

I did install base-devel package required for AUR but it is not the first time I install AUR packages that usually work. This did not solve the java-openjfx installation problem.

I did find a stable josm package in AUR (V18822) and this works fine now, without java-openjfx.

I do not fully understand how this has been finally solved but the result is important for me and I always learn a lot when solving problems anyway! :grinning:

This bug has already been reported in Arch:

Keep track of that page for any updates on the issue.

Thank you,
I had read the post last night but the solution didn’t work for me and I wasn’t sure I could use the same thread again either.
Apparently our two discussions took place at the same time last night!