Jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk are in conflict 19 Nov 2023

This appears to be a constantly recurring problem with no one-size-fits -all solution

My attempts to upgrade my system software using

pacman - Syu

file with:

jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk are in conflict

Folowing Incoming changes in JDK / JRE 21 packages may require manual intervention

I have run

pacman -Sy jdk-openjdk && pacman -Su

That gives me the error

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: installing jdk-openjdk (21.u35-8) breaks dependency ‘jdk20-openjdk=20.0.2.u9-3’ required by openjdk-doc
:: installing jdk-openjdk (21.u35-8) breaks dependency ‘jdk20-openjdk=20.0.2.u9-3’ required by openjdk-src

So where do I go from here?

Issues with JDK/JRE packages were first reported 2 weeks ago and are unlikely to recur in future

Problems for other users do not mention openjdk-doc openjdk-src for either of the two “sizes” of known issues

sudo pacman -Rd openjdk-doc
sudo pacman -Rd openjdk-src
sudo pacman -Sy jdk-openjdk
sudo pacman -Su
3 Likes

Thanks. Solved the jre problem, but now

error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
:: removing kpeople breaks dependency ‘kpeople’ required by kpeoplevcard
:: removing kcontacts breaks dependency ‘kcontacts’ required by kpeoplevcard

Go read announcements. You know, there is a reason there are announcements. It’s so same thing doesn’t get told 1000x to everyone that has a problem, goes on forum and just opens a new topic. There is also a search bar.

2 Likes
sudo pacman -Syuu

Known issues and solutions - 2023-11-06

kpeoplevcard update requires manual intervention

A “newer” version of kpeoplevcard accidently existed, so to install the current version, either update with sudo pacman -Syu kpeoplevcard or sudo pacman -Syuu.

HI

Can you point me to the announcements you have in mind?

Every time there is a release of updates, an announcement is posted in the following subforum/category:

[I’m assuming you are on the standard Manjaro install which uses the “stable” repos.]

Please always read the first and second post of each update announcement before you upgrade your systems.
Post 1= summary of highlights in the update, post 2= potential issues users might face on update and what the solution is. Post 2 also lists the potential problems for previous recent updates, so the kpeoplevcard issue can also be found there.

I don’t post much nowadays but this spate of kpeoplevcard and jdk/jre threads… wow.

2 Likes

@nikgnomic already did…

Thanks. That’s really helpful. There’s a threat of being flamed here that I hadn’t noticed before

To be fair, it’s pretty frustrating to see numerous threads opened on the same/related issues, especially when help is so near, in the second post. Some threads are just one or two rows away from each other, with similar titles. Or some users may post their already-answered question in the update thread itself without checking post 2.

I’m not a forum helper and even I was getting a little irritated on their behalf.

5 Likes

I’ve dug around and finally found the Announcements hidden away in a deep menu

All categories > Announcements > Stable updates

I’m just a guy that likes Manjaro because it (usually) causes me no hassle. I didn’t even know this page existed. Of course I’ll check it in future, but maybe it should be a bit more prominent. I’m not the only one to fall foul of this trap

1 Like

You can (and should) subscribe to notifications for that category. That way you will be notified whenever a new thread gets posted there. :wink:

1 Like

Yes, best to subscribe to notifications.

But in addition, from what I can see, just click on “Topics” on the left panel and it will give you the “Latest” view of all threads with new posts. With that view, it’s very easy to see when there is a new thread for a “Stable” update announcement.

So just go to the “Latest” view when you see your update indicator showing lots of new updates.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.