JACK Firefox no sound after new kernel update

Hi there

I am using a pro-audio install with cadence to use my audio interface. Since the latest kernel update (5.10.2-2-MANJARO) youtube/spotify doesn’t have audio VLC works just fine…

Anybody in the same boat know how to resolve?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Do you have an audio connection Pulseaudio JACK Sink ?

If so, check pavucontrol --tab 1 (or PulseAudio controls specific to your Desktop Environment) to ensure Firefox is using that Sink for audio playback

You may want to set PulseAudio JACK Sink to be the default-sink so audio streams will attempt to connect to JACK first for audio playback

pacmd set-default-sink jack_out

Also check JACK connections in the catia patchbay
Pulseaudio JACK Sink will usually auto-connect to system output (the audio device you selected to use in JACK)

Thanks for your reply.

I checked apparently it works if I manually connect firefox to the audio output. Firefox 84 doesn’t connect to the audio output automatically. Any way to change this behavior? Cause every time I pause a video or put a new one I have to reconnect manually… And I don’t use pulseaudio. Only Jack->Alsa sink

Check that Cadence settings Self Connect Mode is set to Don’t restrict self-connect requests
https://kx.studio/screenshots/cadence-jacksettings1.png
any other option could prevent an automatic connection

I used to use ALSA loopback connections a long time ago
(before Cadence was created and Firefox did not require PulseAudio)
based on this article from 2009:
Bridging the Gap: Using Jack with Non-Jack Apps | The Penguin Producer
and this
4.1 Creating permanent Jack clients using alsa in and alsa out | alsa.opensrc.org
there might be something from those links that may help you with Cadence

I stopped using ALSA loopbacks because I could not get a persistent audio connection

I also tried compiling Firefox to run in JACK, but that has the same limitations as using ALSA loopbacks - the connection is not persistent and would usually auto-connect to system output

Firefox behaves the same in PulseAudio (multiple audio streams from browser tabs are not persistent) but the PulseAudio JACK connections can maintain fixed audio connections

I would prefer to have a way to use just ALSA and JACK without need for PulseAudio but it it is the best working option for what I need with JACK most of the time
and PulseAudio can still be suspended or shutdown temporarily If some tasks require maximum JACK performance