Iwlwifi on Kernel 5.8 broken

Well, once I updated to kernel 5.8, it appears that my wifi card (intel ax200) has a very slow connection if it connects at all.

I can provide any output you guys want so long as you feed me the commands, but here’s a start.

➤ modinfo iwlwifi | grep firmware
firmware:       iwlwifi-100-5.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-1000-5.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-135-6.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-105-6.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-2000-6.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-5150-2.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-5000-5.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-6000g2b-6.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-6000g2a-6.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-6050-5.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-6000-6.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-7265D-29.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-7265-17.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-3168-29.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-3160-17.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-7260-17.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-8265-36.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-8000C-36.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-9260-th-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-46.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-SoSnj-a0-gf-a0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-SoSnj-a0-gf4-a0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-ty-a0-gf-a0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-so-a0-gf-a0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-so-a0-hr-b0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-so-a0-jf-b0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-cc-a0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-QuQnj-b0-jf-b0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-jf-b0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-QuZ-a0-hr-b0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-Qu-b0-jf-b0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-Qu-c0-hr-b0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-QuQnj-b0-hr-b0-56.ucode
firmware:       iwlwifi-Qu-b0-hr-b0-56.ucode

➤ modinfo iwlwifi | grep parm
parm:           debug:debug output mask (uint)
parm:           swcrypto:using crypto in software (default 0 [hardware]) (int)
parm:           11n_disable:disable 11n functionality, bitmap: 1: full, 2: disable agg TX, 4: disable agg RX, 8 enable agg TX (uint)
parm:           amsdu_size:amsdu size 0: 12K for multi Rx queue devices, 2K for AX210 devices, 4K for other devices 1:4K 2:8K 3:12K 4: 2K (default 0) (int)
parm:           fw_restart:restart firmware in case of error (default true) (bool)
parm:           nvm_file:NVM file name (charp)
parm:           uapsd_disable:disable U-APSD functionality bitmap 1: BSS 2: P2P Client (default: 3) (uint)
parm:           enable_ini:Enable debug INI TLV FW debug infrastructure (default: true (bool)
parm:           bt_coex_active:enable wifi/bt co-exist (default: enable) (bool)
parm:           led_mode:0=system default, 1=On(RF On)/Off(RF Off), 2=blinking, 3=Off (default: 0) (int)
parm:           power_save:enable WiFi power management (default: disable) (bool)
parm:           power_level:default power save level (range from 1 - 5, default: 1) (int)
parm:           disable_11ac:Disable VHT capabilities (default: false) (bool)
parm:           remove_when_gone:Remove dev from PCIe bus if it is deemed inaccessible (default: false) (bool)
parm:           disable_11ax:Disable HE capabilities (default: false) (bool)

➤ uname -a
Linux manjaro 5.8.6-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Sep 3 14:19:36 UTC 2020 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The only other things I’ve changed is this in /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf:

options iwlwifi power_save=0
options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
options iwlwifi bt_coex_active=0

I am seeing “Connected” upon signon, then dropped connection within a minute. Unable to sign back on, Network Connections appear normal. Never occurred with kernels 5.4 or 5.7, persistent failure in 5.8.1/2/3. Intel 3168 card.

Yeah, it’s weird, according to Intel this driver should work with any kernel version 5.1+

It’s really making me consider going back to Windows. Ugh. I also hate doing cable runs.

I have a Lenovo L14 (AMD) with the same wifi card and on my home router I have the same issue, I get download speeds of 1-2 Mbit/s. In other places it works fine.

I can fix the issue by adding the following lines to my /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf:

options iwlwifi disable_11ax=Y
options iwlwifi 11n_disable=1

but wifi speed in other places is slower then.

dmesg shows the following:

[    1.896694] iwlwifi 0000:03:00.0: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-cc-a0-56.ucode failed with error -2

and doing some digging reveals that manjaro provides a couple of similarly named files in /lib/firmware, iwlwifi/cc-a0-**.ucode but not the one requested.

Not sure if the file is missing or just has the wrong name.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.