Issues with getting Deluge to Launch

I’m going to preface this with, I am a newish Linux user, but I am fairly technically inclined…Just Linux stuff is almost like a different language to me.

So I’m not certain what is pertinent information for this, nor how I would get it without spending an unhealthy amount of time hunting the stuff down. So if there is further information that would help and/or be necessary, please let me know and direct me to a guide on how to get it if you don’t want to take the time to give me the step-by-step (which I would understand). Or at the very least give me a tip on what to google.

I am using I think the latest Manjaro KDE and my system is completely up to date as of like 30 minutes ago.

Ok, sorry. So the issue I’m having is I installed the legacy version of Deluge (because my trackers don’t support newer versions) from the add/remove programs GUI. When I would try to launch it, it seems a window would open, but then there was nothing. I tried launching through CLI and got the following output:

[ERROR ] 13:51:10 ui:171 No module named gobject
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/ui.py”, line 152, in init
from deluge.ui.gtkui.gtkui import GtkUI
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/gtkui/init.py”, line 1, in
from gtkui import start
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/deluge/ui/gtkui/gtkui.py”, line 37, in
import gobject
ImportError: No module named gobject
[ERROR ] 13:51:10 ui:172 There was an error whilst launching the request UI: gtk
[ERROR ] 13:51:10 ui:173 Look at the traceback above for more information.

I did some poking around and came across this post from the Arch forum and I followed the suggested steps:
Installing python2-gobject2 and pygtk

At which point Deluge would launch, but at launch, I would get a popup asking if I want to start thin client mode or not. I don’t but when I click that Deluge closes. Taking a closer look at the popup, it also says “To use Deluge standalone (Classic mode) please install libtorrent”.

So I installed libtorrent. But I’m still having the same issue. Launching from CLI got the following output:

/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/OpenSSL/crypto.py:14: CryptographyDeprecationWarning: Python 2 is no longer supported by the Python core team. Support for it is now deprecated in cryptography, and will be removed in the next release.
from cryptography import utils, x509
:0: UserWarning: You do not have a working installation of the service_identity module: ‘No module named service_identity’. Please install it from ************* and make sure all of its dependencies are satisfied. Without the service_identity module, Twisted can perform only rudimentary TLS client hostname verification. Many valid certificate/hostname mappings may be rejected.

Searching for “You do not have a working installation of the service_identity module” I found a post on the Arch forum post and as suggested there I installed python2-service-identity. But again same issue. Launching from CLI only gave the first message from the output posted above, but as before, after popup window Deluge closes. I also installed python2-twisted as well, but still having the issue.

I see that Deluge outputs a message indicating to make sure all dependencies are installed, but I don’t know how to check that on my system. If anyone can point me to a guide on how to do it, because I couldn’t find one searching myself.

Any other suggestions on where to go from here or how better to address the issue?

Thanks.

I used Deluge in the past, but when they moved on past version 2.0 or something I found all the add-ons (written for 1.3) were outdated so I switched to qBittorrent, which is generally supported well by all trackers.

My opinion is that you should not try to run older versions of Deluge. Development is certainly not up to par I think - even RSS depends on an external plugin which causes many issues for user (qBittorrent has it built in).

They moved on, so must you.

1 Like